Ugglefar
Topic Author

Required Origins and Classes in the Alpha

Sat 11 Sep 2021, 04:33

Page 132: Scoundrel: Spy: "Required Background In order to take this approach you must have a Human origin and be of the Houses of Nobility. You gain proficiency in the Deception skill."

So there are quite some restrictions on who can be a Spy in Symbaroum. However, I don't see this with other classes and approaches.

Wrathguard: Lore-wise it feels like Wrathguards should be barbarians exclusively, or perhaps also including changelings. But no restrictions are put on the approach. Can a goblin be a wrathguard? A dwarf? An Ambrian?

Templar: The same question is present here; can a troll be a templar? An elf?

In general I think all of the approaches need to be looked at in this regard.

SoulAngel

Re: Required Origins and Classes in the Alpha

Sat 11 Sep 2021, 20:02

+1

I think some restriction need to be added. Like for witch, can an elf become one? (the differents book never mentionned it).

And to be honest, i found that this restriction (nobility for spy) is very odd.
Last edited by SoulAngel on Sat 11 Sep 2021, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

n4tune8

Sat 11 Sep 2021, 21:59

5th edition did away with all those restrictions based on race or alignment... maybe it would be wise to follow the same path for Ruins of Symbaroum since it is based on 5e.

Ugglefar
Topic Author

Sun 12 Sep 2021, 05:08

5th edition did away with all those restrictions based on race or alignment... maybe it would be wise to follow the same path for Ruins of Symbaroum since it is based on 5e.

Some of the subclasses in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide were locked to different Origins, like the bladesinger and battlerager (which admittedly later got removed in Tasha's).

Some of the subclasses (approaches) in Symbaroum are very much tied to the setting itself; the Wrathguard is the personal bodyguard of the high chieftain of Karvosti, they are not some generic archetype of a fighter. Because of this the Origin and Background could be of importance.

jonathanpay

Tue 14 Sep 2021, 12:21

I think Free League may have bitten off a bit more than they can chew by adding the additional approaches from the Symbarourm Advanced Players Guide straight into the RoS Player's Guide. A lot, if not all of these advanced approaches are what you might consider along the lines ofPrestige classes in previous D&D editions, from what I know of them.

I'd say, thematically, recommending the origin/background/approaches combinations might be a good idea - there will be plenty of people who want to pick and choose from these books to add to their own homebrew campaigns, or to play in Symbaroum without following the specific published plot and therefore greater wiggle room for combinations is better, but having a side bar that says "thematically, a Queen's Spy should be an Ambrian Noble" or "a Wrathguard should be a Barbarian", etc. That's my 2p anyway
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

Ugglefar
Topic Author

Tue 14 Sep 2021, 15:24

I think Free League may have bitten off a bit more than they can chew by adding the additional approaches from the Symbarourm Advanced Players Guide straight into the RoS Player's Guide. A lot, if not all of these advanced approaches are what you might consider along the lines ofPrestige classes in previous D&D editions, from what I know of them.

I'd say, thematically, recommending the origin/background/approaches combinations might be a good idea - there will be plenty of people who want to pick and choose from these books to add to their own homebrew campaigns, or to play in Symbaroum without following the specific published plot and therefore greater wiggle room for combinations is better, but having a side bar that says "thematically, a Queen's Spy should be an Ambrian Noble" or "a Wrathguard should be a Barbarian", etc. That's my 2p anyway

I agree with you, this would be a good way to resolve the issue. To offer some recommendations, but not necessarily banning certain Origins from being used with certain Approaches.