Mudfly
Topic Author

Just a few comments on the alpha PDF

Mon 06 Sep 2021, 18:36

Hello!
I just started reading the book and it’s looking really good this far! I wrote down some comments while reading, maybe you will be interested in them. I’m not a native English speaker, so hopefully I haven’t just misunderstood the text :)

Dwarves’ “Pariah” trait (p.53): Initially I thought the word “interaction” in this paragraph referred to charisma checks, but since the other races have this specified and dwarves don’t I guess it means all interactions? This seems way too harsh, as pretty much everything you do is an interaction (attacks/contested rolls/ability checks/saving throws)?

Outlaw’s “Natural Leader of the Common Folk” feature (p.100): this seems very weak for a level 17 feature? Or am I doing my math wrong? I feel like the player should get this way earlier if it is an “RP” feature?

Hunter equipment (p.102): In the second row of the equipment list, consider giving the player a choice between a longbow and a bow without the “heavy” property. Goblins have disadvantage using the longbow due to their size being small, and will have to buy a new one if they want to use a ranged weapon.

Guild Thief’s “Cheap Shot” Feature (p.131): as part of this feature you gain the ability to take the Dash, Disengage or Dodge action as your bonus action at level 9. But you can already dash and disengage in this manner from your cunning action feature gained on level 2. The only difference that I can see is that you get to use the dodge action instead of hide action with the cheap shot feature. The level 9 part of this feature can probably be removed (or rewritten)?

Templar’s “Medicus” feature (p.143): I find the term “few moments” confusing. Can it be used in combat, out of combat or during rests?

Wrathguard’s “Blood Combat” Feature (p.145): the first part of this feature uses your hit point maximum rounded down. The second part uses your hit point maximum rounded up. They should probably both be rounded down for simplicity?

Again, I hope I didn’t misunderstand the text that I was commenting on!
Thanks for your time and hard work!

samirvsmachine

Re: Just a few comments on the alpha PDF

Tue 07 Sep 2021, 00:30

Dwarves’ “Pariah” trait (p.53): Initially I thought the word “interaction” in this paragraph referred to charisma checks, but since the other races have this specified and dwarves don’t I guess it means all interactions? This seems way too harsh, as pretty much everything you do is an interaction (attacks/contested rolls/ability checks/saving throws)?
I think they refer to social interactions (Charisma checks).