Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Monsters & Adversaries?

Sun 05 Sep 2021, 21:08

I was a little disappointed to not see a small section with monsters and adversaries, NPCs, etc included like in the original native rulebook. Will this be included in the Core Rulebook for 5e?

SoulAngel

Re: Monsters & Adversaries?

Mon 06 Sep 2021, 00:47

There will be a codex for monster.

sandor7

Mon 06 Sep 2021, 16:45

they are working on the monster manual and dmg as well. none of the things you listed should be player facing.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Mon 06 Sep 2021, 17:06

Yes, I know there is a Codex coming. I was just curious if there as going to be a small section at the book with some monsters and NPCs, again like the Core book.

jonathanpay

Wed 08 Sep 2021, 09:19

I think the stats that you’re thinking over the back of the PHB are common animals that might be used as summons or pets or beast companions things like that not necessarily for GM use so much as for player use as familiars or what have you
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

SirAubrey

Wed 15 Sep 2021, 10:15

Hi !
Is there any rough estimation for the Monster Manual?
Something like "alpha pdf most likely this year" ?
As a GM I feel a bit lost without some monster stats.

Or is there a list which classic D&D monsters I could use & "reframe" for the time being for the most common Symbaroum monsters?
Like:
Symbaroum D&D equivalent
Jakaar
Mare Cat
Hunger Wolf
famished Troll
Summer Elf
Tricklesting
Abormination

sandor7

Thu 16 Sep 2021, 13:00

Hi !
Is there any rough estimation for the Monster Manual?
Something like "alpha pdf most likely this year" ?
As a GM I feel a bit lost without some monster stats.

Or is there a list which classic D&D monsters I could use & "reframe" for the time being for the most common Symbaroum monsters?
Like:
Symbaroum D&D equivalent
Jakaar
Mare Cat
Hunger Wolf
famished Troll
Summer Elf
Tricklesting
Abormination
jacob posted a sample creature in the developer updates thread some time ago that actually goes a long way towards showing what we can expect from the monsters (i dont know how to link a specific post, so i'll quote the text).
Hey Everyone! Sorry for the late response, we've been nose-to-the-grindstone for a little while trying to get the rules in shape and I kept forgetting to visit here. But since y'all have been patient, how about a monster for you?

Abominations are a new monster type for 5e, covering things like the Blight-born (creatures or cultural beings that have been overwhelmed by Corruption). There's a template for the Blight-born in the bestiary (so you can apply it to almost any monster) but there are also some premade abominations as well. Here's one:

<statblock>
Blight-born Elk
Large abomination

Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 94 (9D10 + 45)
Speed 50 ft.

STR . . . . . . . DEX . . . . . . . CON . . . . . . . INT . . . . . . . WIS . . . . . . . CHA
25 (+7) . . . . . 12 (+1) . . . . . 21 (+5) . . . . . .2 (-4) . . . . . . 13 (+1) . . . . . 7 (-2)

Skills Perception +4, Survival +4
Damage Resistances bludgeoning from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP, proficiency bonus +3)

Manner wheezing and snorting
Shadow brownish black, like the hide of a decaying animal corpse (thoroughly corrupt)
Equipment

Charge. If the elk moves at least 20 ft. straight toward a target and then hits it with its Many-pointed Black Antlers on the same turn, the target takes an extra 14 (4D6) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 17 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Congealed Blood. The blight-born elk is resistant to bludgeoning damage.

Actions
Multiattack. The blight-born elk makes an attack with its Black Antlers and its Clawing Hooves

Many-pointed Black Antlers. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (4D6 + 7) piercing damage and 2 (1D4) temporary Corruption.

Clawing Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2D6 + 7) slashing damage and 1 temporary Corruption.

Reactions
Broad Antlers. The wild tangle of the blight-born elk’s antlers provides natural cover against ranged weapons. When attacked, it twists unnaturally, placing the thorny antlers in the path of the missile. Add +3 to the elk’s AC.
</statblock>

So what do you think?