SaintVidar
Topic Author

Burdens

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 14:48

Is the intention of Burdens to replace ASIs? Otherwise, there's no objective reason for players to take a "+2 bonus to an ability score and a negative effect" in exchange for "+2 to an ability score without the negative effect."

SoulAngel

Re: Burdens

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 15:00

except if they life to suffer and their character have a miserable life ;)
(yes i agree, this point has already been posted)

Barbarianbob

Thu 02 Sep 2021, 05:56

Is the intention of Burdens to replace ASIs? Otherwise, there's no objective reason for players to take a "+2 bonus to an ability score and a negative effect" in exchange for "+2 to an ability score without the negative effect."
I am curious to hear official word on this myself, but if I read the description correctly, the boons give mostly a +1 to something (examples: Beast Tongue +1 to Wisdom or Tough +1 to Constitution while the burdens give +2, but at a cost (Exmaples Seizures +2 to Intelligence or Wisdom

"You are afflicted by a sensitive mind, meaning that you can be exposed to violent cramps throughout the body when excited or stressed. If you roll a natural 1 on an ability check you become stunned for 1d4 turns. Afterwards you gain 1 level of exhaustion"

Soooo you can take just the "boon" for a +1, or you can take a burden for a +2 along with some "baggage" as it were.

My only thing is this sort fit better in initial steps of character creation, and not at level up ASI moments.

Cheers!
Last edited by Barbarianbob on Sun 05 Sep 2021, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

SoulAngel

Thu 02 Sep 2021, 09:57

Not really.

You have two choices:
-take two +1 in each attributes or a +2 in a single attributes
OR
-take a feat

Feats are boons with a +1 to an attribute and a small power OR a burden with a +2 bonus to an attribute and the burden.
==> That's where are our concerns... there is no specific logic here because if you don't take a feat (boons or burden), you can already have the +2 to an ability...

Jacob Rodgers

Thu 02 Sep 2021, 15:51

You'll notice that in the paragraph that introduces burdens that they are both marked out as optional (noted as being even more optional than feats themselves) and a source of inspiration for roleplaying. Some players will love the chance to mechanically represent a consequence of some terrible tragedy that recently befell them, others might like another 'button to push' for inspiration, some others will not be interested and the burden can be safely ignored for those folks.

Barbarianbob

Sat 04 Sep 2021, 03:25

Not really.

You have two choices:
OR
-take a feat

Feats are boons with a +1 to an attribute and a small power OR a burden with a +2 bonus to an attribute and the burden.
==> That's where are our concerns... there is no specific logic here because if you don't take a feat (boons or burden), you can already have the +2 to an ability...
Ah, yes, I see where you are coming from.

Barbarianbob

Sat 04 Sep 2021, 03:29

You'll notice that in the paragraph that introduces burdens that they are both marked out as optional (noted as being even more optional than feats themselves) and a source of inspiration for roleplaying. Some players will love the chance to mechanically represent a consequence of some terrible tragedy that recently befell them, others might like another 'button to push' for inspiration, some others will not be interested and the burden can be safely ignored for those folks.
Thanks Jacob. I that makes sense. What I'll probably do is make the Boon/Burden combo available at level one, but optional. If you want to take on that burden, you get the +2 bonus that goes along with it. If you want to boon without the burden, you have to use one of your ASI level ups for it.

Barbarianbob

Sun 05 Sep 2021, 19:50

Not really.

You have two choices:
OR
-take a feat

Ah, yes, I see where you are coming from.
Thinking on this topic some more...I think I'll make burdens an optional "random" element you can choose to do at first level. You don't get a choice in the matter you roll randomly. A burden is something that happens "to" you, not something you select. It's something you learn to deal with.

Then I'll think I'll go ahead and replace ASI with boons just to add more thematic flavor beyond simple attribute bumps.

Barbarianbob

Tue 07 Sep 2021, 01:13

Just a suggestion, but for burdens, instead of a +2 to a fixed (or semi-fixed) attribute, what if you instead gave players a +1 to put anywhere they like? Maybe put a limit on it, like "as long as the new number is not great than 15" (just an example).

I feel like a +2 is a big bump. But I think a +1 to any attribute the players chooses may be more rewarding.

Just a thought.

Barbarianbob

Tue 07 Sep 2021, 06:54

OK so a little more thought on this, and, thought I really like the idea of Burdens, I do not like the way they are being implemented. I do not think these should be features you can take as you are leveling up. I think burdens should be RP elements you select at character creation, and get "gift" (Bonus, boon, whatever) for doing so.

A couple of Examples...
>>> You can select a boon and along with it, a burden (so, remove the +2 attribute modifier). If you like one of the boons, you can take it and along with it, get a burden (you can, I supposed, take a feat as well, but I think feats tend to be a little more "powerful"). So it's an even exchange. You get a boon and along with it a burden.
>>>Or you have the option to take a burden, and get a bonus +1 to whatever attribute you want (with possible limits on maximums). That's seems fair....want and extra attribute point? Take a burden.

For my "Grimdark" game, I have a list of burdens that can be rolled for at random, and it's and completely optional if you want to roll on that table. If you do decide to roll on the table, you get to add +1 to any attribute you choose as long as it doesn't exceed 18. In exchange, you get a burden.

I just feel like those should be part of character creation, not using and ASI. Of course, as the rules state, they are optional, so I suppose, "use as you will" :D

Cheers!