SoulAngel
Topic Author

Reviews of Mystics class

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 12:51

Hello,

I’ve reviewed with my experienced player’s group of Symbaroum (we played all the books since the beggining) all of the Mystics classe part and we have a lot of questions.
Sorry for my long post.

p.108: Leveled Spells
You know two 1st level spells from the spell list belonging to your mystical approach. When you gain a level in mystic you learn another spell, which can be any spell on your list, up to your current maximum spell level as shown on the Mystic table.
Is there another way to learn spell because it seems to be that Mystics won’t have a large number of spell. Is there a way to change the spell we learned? In DD5 it’s possible when you pass level but here, nothing is said about that.
Also, the ability to learn new spells from scroll? You can cast spell from scroll for wizard, but can you learn them?

p.110: Ritual casting
Same as my reaction yesterday, none of my mystic players want to learn rituals… the cost of permanent corruption is too high. Except if in the GM book, you have a way to easily remove the permanent corruption, otherwise this feature is not useful (or maybe take one or two level 1 ritual maximum) because it limits to much your ability to cast spell without quickly turning your PC to an NPC.

p.109: Favored spell
1/ Is it possible to change a favored spell?
2/ Do you need to learn a spell before making him “favored” or you directly learn a new spell which is favored? (if second solution, it will answer one of my concerning about the limit of spell)

p.111: Talisman crafter
Talisman Crafter
During a long rest you can create a talisman to help you channel the power of a spell. You begin an adventure with one talisman already prepared. You cannot have more talismans than your proficiency bonus. While you possess the talisman, when you cast that spell you gain half the normal temporary Corruption (rounding up to a minimum of 1).
Can you cast the same spell with the talisman or does it work only one time per spell (and when you have casted the spell, the talisman is not working anymore or can you cast 10 times the same spell with the same talisman)?
And also, it’s unclear, are you forced to use talisman to cast spell or can you cast spell without talisman (and take normal corruption) and with talisman (to take less)?

p.112: Self-taught
I had several questions on this section because the description given and the technical reality are kind of opposite. It is said p.110 that
Or you might be self-taught, without boundaries but a danger to yourself and others
or p.112
However, they are also much more vulnerable to Corruption
Ok, it’s clear and like “traditional Symbaroum”, self-taught mystics have more freedom but take more risk with corruption.So we read the rules… and we didn’t see the “risk” part and more the opposite, it seems that self-taught are more protected from corruption than some other mystics (wizard for eg... which is kind of illogic!)

p.112: Boundless magic
. When you gain a spell level you can learn a cantrip or a spell up to your current maximum spell level as shown on the Mystic table
Sorry i’m not a natural english-speaker but we didn’t understand what means this sentence and what’s the difference with the sentence p.108 that applied to all mystics:
When you gain a level in mystic you learn another spell, which can be any spell on your list, up to your current maximum spell level as shown on the Mystic table.
Especially the begin of the sentence “when you gain a spell level”... is it a mistake and rather “when you gain a mystic level”? How can you gain a spell level?

p.112: Personal Investment
You cast the spell as if it was using the highest spell level you know but gain Corruption as if it was cast at its base level.
So… this is a way of taking less corruption, so in opposition with the description of the self-taught.

p.112: Natural alchemy
You can prepare tonics and
Each tonic restores one Hit Die to a creature that consumes it.
So you can regain hit dice… hit dice allows you to remove some corruption ⇒ again, still in opposition of the description of self-taught.

Conclusion:
Except if we miss something or if something is missing, we don’t see where the self-taught mystic take more risk with corruption (compared to Ordo Magica mage for eg). In original Symbaroum, you can really feel the difference between a self-taught mystic and a tradition mystics in terms of corruption taken… here not at all (and rather the contrary).

p.113: Sorcerer
Same reaction for all my players, seems very overpowered compared to others mystics because of their ability to avoid corruption (mean: you can cast more spells).
And it’s in complete opposition of the description (p.113)
While other mystical traditions do everything they can to avoid the soul-eroding powers of Corruption, the Sorcerer chooses to do the opposite
Their feature “darkened path” (roll advantage on corruption check), “the shadowed slope” (take one less temporry corruption point on spell), “the power of corruption” (cast a spell without taking corruption).
⇒ It seems that in this setting, Sorcerer will become the less corrupted mystics! Ok i can understand than darkened path can motivate to push them more than other class on the corruption path but it's first of all, a tool to avoid blight mark and permanent corruption.

p.117: Symbolist
p.117: Corruption
The strength of Symbolism is its resilience to Corruption: symbolists do not suffer permanent Corruption from learning the tradition’s powers or from crafting symbols.
Is there a copy/paste from original Symbaroum or did we miss something on : do you take corruption on other mystics class from learning spell?
They suffer some Corruption when a symbol is activated, but less than the members of other traditions – as little as only one point in temporary Corruption per activated symbol.
This rule is in opposition of what’s written later
When the rune is activated, the spell is cast and you gain temporary Corruption equal to the spell’s prepared level.
Or did you get one temporary for activating the rune + corruption from using it?

p.117: Spellcasting ability
. An unfavored spell costs double the prepared level
What does this sentence means? If i’m right, if you take “Disguise Self” (level one spell), it count as a level 2 spell if it’s not in my favored spell list?

Troll Singer
p.120: Songs of the Dawn
I think (and we hope) that we didn’t understand that passage.
Troll singers do not gain temporary Corruption for singing their spells. Instead they must make a Charisma saving throw for each leveled casting, gaining a point of permanent Corruption on a failure.
So, if i understand, each time a troll singer cast a spell, it has to roll to cast the spell. Immediately after, you roll a Charisma saving throw (not very funny). And if it’s a failure, it takes one point of corruption permanent. So, basically, each time a troll singer cast a spell, it has a really high chance to take one permanent corruption (DC is 14 for 1rst level spell… and goest to 30 (!!!!) for 9th level spell).
Has all the troll singer signed a death-wish pact? Does the troll singer really cast spells and after two days, they became NPC cause overwhelmed with corruption? Because when i read that, i will never cast a spell except if i’m great danger!! And also, a DC of 30... even if you have 20 in your ability (so +5) and +6 from proficiency bonus (the maximum, it's gives only +11... so you need to roll a nat. 19 or 20 on 9th level spell to avoid 1 permanent corruption... o_O??

p.120: Songs of the dusk
Even with the example, we didn’t understand that part.
You can cast spells with a level total of up to twice your proficiency bonus, with a maximum spell level equal to your proficiency bonus without Corruption. You recover used spell levels when you complete a long rest.

p.121: Witch
p.123: Nature Bounty
This feature is odderly placed (after all the differents path) so we were wondering if it’s for witch or is it a mistake and it’s a wizard feature

p.124: Wizard
p.124: LoreMaster
At 9th level, you may cast spells directly from scrolls and similar such parchments without any ill effects.
What is “ill effects”? And can you cast spell outside your spell list (from wizard... but also from other traditions?) And also, except the wizard, no one can cast spell from scroll?

Globally we were a bit disappointed with the Wizards; first, he his the one with the higher spell list but the mystics appears to be very limited in their knowledge of different spells. So it will be frustrating… a witch have less spells so she will mastered a lot of them (in %) and wizard, because they have like double list of spell, their % of spell knows will be divided by two.
==>Maybe add the possibility for Wizard to learn more spells?

Secondly, and more annoying, the Wizard has kind of no ability to reduce corruption. As said previously… the self-taught, which is supposed to take more risk with corruption, is in reality, will take less risk than wizard (with the feature “personal investment” for eg). So we were a bit confused about that.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

SaintVidar

Re: Reviews of Mystics class

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 15:13

You should check the class-specific feat section for Extensive Learning. Mystics will be alright with their spells known. ;)

SoulAngel
Topic Author

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 15:56

Yeah i know i've read it... but it's a feat so expensive choice.
The real question that will fix this problem is: for favored spell, is it among your already known spell or is it new spell?

And also, it's kind of pity that wizard doens't know, from scratch, more spells than other subclass! (and also, that can be fixed by the ability to learn spell from scroll).

Ugglefar

Mon 06 Sep 2021, 04:24

I also reacted to that the Self-taught mystic and the Sorcerer both seem to be BETTER than the Wizard at avoiding Corruption. This doesn't seem quite...right.

rolling

Sat 18 Sep 2021, 22:27

p.112: Boundless magic
. When you gain a spell level you can learn a cantrip or a spell up to your current maximum spell level as shown on the Mystic table
Sorry i’m not a natural english-speaker but we didn’t understand what means this sentence and what’s the difference with the sentence p.108 that applied to all mystics:
When you gain a level in mystic you learn another spell, which can be any spell on your list, up to your current maximum spell level as shown on the Mystic table.
Especially the begin of the sentence “when you gain a spell level”... is it a mistake and rather “when you gain a mystic level”? How can you gain a spell level?
I am reading this as being oddly worded but that it means when you reach a level where you can cast a higher level of spell - e.g. at mystic level 3 you can cast 2nd level spells, at mystic level 5 you can cast 3rd level spells, (etc. - up to mystic level 17 when you can cast 9th level spells). This would mean self-taught would continue to have half the number of spells that 'normal' mystics have self-taught get a new spell every 2 levels, while 'normal' mystics get a new spell every level. This encourages self-taught to spend feats on getting more spells.

SoulAngel
Topic Author

Sun 19 Sep 2021, 11:13

Thanks for the clarification. It allows the wizard to have more spells. Nice