n4tune8

Re: Corruption Rules

Thu 07 Oct 2021, 16:16

I just realized that in RoS, there is no upper limit to Corruption. You can keep adding to it waaaay past your threshold, you just keep rolling on the Corruption marks. RoS does not have this rule found in Symbaroum: "The character turns into an abomination if its Total Corruption (temporary+permanent) reaches or exceeds its Resolute value."
What if a player character just doesn't care what side effects it gets from Corruption? As a GM, I can always make the world react to that, but in the middle of the forest, who cares that you crave raw meat and stink of death? I would like a rule similar to the one in Symbaroum, just to keep the players minding their total Corruption.
A goodly number of the marks of Corruption have mechanical effects: Exhaustion (which will kill the character eventually), blindness, deafness, and effects on social encounters {which still can happen in the forest - Queen's Rangers, barbarians, goblins, etc.), plus the chance to get permanent Corruption, which will eventually turn you into an abomination. We're in the process of taking a second look at everything but we've had that decision play out in playtesting and not end well for the character.
Those mechanical effects can be removed by Lesser Restoration (blindness, deafness) and Greater Restoration (exhaustion). In addition, a Theurg can use Purging Fire to get rid of permanent Corruption. If he has a Theurg friend that can cast Protection from Energy and heal him, he doesn't even care about the fire damage!
Once Theurgs reach 9th level, there won't be much to stop them from casting all day long.

SoulAngel

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 01:35

I think i will remove this ritual from the game.

Lost corruption will be a kind of very rare ritual that has to be done to a certain period of the moon (aka: one time per campaign).

n4tune8

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 03:50

I think i will remove this ritual from the game.

Lost corruption will be a kind of very rare ritual that has to be done to a certain period of the moon (aka: one time per campaign).
Right now, in the alpha, I've found 4 rituals to get rid of permanent Corruption: Blood Bond, Purging Fire, Atonement and Soul Stone.
Blood Bond redirects permanent Corruption to a familiar, which you can dismiss and resummon at will. I suggest Find Familiar can only be cast under a full moon (i.e. once per adventure) to prevent this.
Purging Fire, if kept, should deal radiance damage and also be on a timer... perhaps only castable once per year, on Prios' Holy day, or at noon on the summer solstice... something like that.
For Atonement, the permanent Corruption being removed from the target should be transferred to the Theurg. They can get rid of it with Purging Fire, right?
As for Soul Stone, I don't totally understand how it works. This ritual needs more explanation. Can I get rid of an almost full Soul stone? What if the caster destroys it without letting it overload? Does the Corruption still rush back to them? How does the "potential new soulstone" know that another one already exists? What if it was thrown in the mouth of a blight-stricken beast? [...] At 100 thaler + one chicken for a Soul Stone, it's not very expensive to get rid of about 10 permanent Corruption (2d4+5).

Spat

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 08:38

Characters having rituals at their disposal to get rid of permanent corruption just brings us back to a sort of "Spell Slot" system.
They can cast a certain amount of spells before having to long rest and cast rituals, and then back to business.
So I think you are right to imagine something that limits that situation.
Then, once the spell casters get limited by corruption, and being less effective than in 5E, you need the other fighting classes to have some limit as well, to avoid over potent fighters with limited spell casters. At the moment RoS fighting classes look over powered compared to 5E, which is already highly heroic.
I think there is a big work to be done on the Alpha to achieve that.

SoulAngel

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 14:28

It doesn't shock me that magician are weaker than fighter... we are in a world where corruption appears when magic is done... so logic.
But in symbaroum original system and you can be a fighter with a bit of magic. With d&d system with class, people are specialized so it's very hard to be a fighter with magic. By letting this kind of ritual to remove corruption, you are going against the core of symbaroum world...

Ugglefar

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 01:23

After having the opportunity to actually play-test the game instead of just doing theory-crafting (like I did for most of my feedback so far) I am more at ease with how casters will work in RoS. I do however think there is a lot of texts concerning magic use that needs to be rephrased and clarified. Also, as has been mentioned before, there seem to have been an oversight in the conversion between the two different game engines; since Self-Taught and Sorcerer at the present moment seem better at avoiding Corruption than the traditions. Some tweaking to the rules are needed.

I am still concerned that a player might never be worried about getting permanent Corruption if it is too easy to remove in the game.