Mattias_JH
Topic Author

Alpha Feedback - Player's Guide Section 2 New Rules

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 11:51

Hello!
Please use this thread to report any typos or errors in Section 2 - New Rules in the Alpha PDF of the Ruins of Symbaroum Player's Guide. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you want to discuss or feedback something that is not a clear error, don't do it here - instead, please start a new forum post the specific issue.
  • Please report your feedback no later than September 25, 2021. After this date, we are likely not able to make any further changes.
Thank you!

ShardCollector

Re: Alpha Feedback - Player's Guide Section 2 New Rules

Thu 02 Sep 2021, 22:38

Page 38: Corruption

Marks of Corruption is rolled when you go above your corruption treshold. As long as you keep rolling more than the target, you can go pretty high beyond the treshold without any ill effects, and even if you roll under it, you don't get any permanent effects, unless on a roll of 1 or 2.

I think that the higher numbers need some beefing up! You can only get 20 as a result if your corruption is at least 20 points above your treshold. That should always be very serious, no matter how well you rolled. I'd say that there should be very real danger of losing your character on results 15 and up.

I'd turn the table upside down, where results 1-5 are mildish (mostly hideable appearance changes), 6-10 are more serious (taste for raw meat and cadavers etc.), 11-15 are really bad (one point of permanent corruption + very visible marks, like black eyes, split tongue, tentacles), 16-19 are horrible (two points of permanent corruption + random acts of terror and very public displays of corruption), with 20 you turn into a blight born! This way you would gain more and more marks and errational behaviour, if you don't stop in time and you would be put down before you have a chance of turning into abomination.

Of course any number you rolled didn't reduce your current corruption, but you need to rest and do some cleansing rituals to get rid of it.

Barbarianbob

Fri 03 Sep 2021, 16:23

Marks of Corruption is rolled when you go above your corruption treshold. As long as you keep rolling more than the target, you can go pretty high beyond the treshold without any ill effects, and even if you roll under it, you don't get any permanent effects, unless on a roll of 1 or 2.

I think that the higher numbers need some beefing up! You can only get 20 as a result if your corruption is at least 20 points above your treshold. That should always be very serious, no matter how well you rolled. I'd say that there should be very real danger of losing your character on results 15 and up.

I'd turn the table upside down, where results 1-5 are mildish (mostly hideable appearance changes), 6-10 are more serious (taste for raw meat and cadavers etc.), 11-15 are really bad (one point of permanent corruption + very visible marks, like black eyes, split tongue, tentacles), 16-19 are horrible (two points of permanent corruption + random acts of terror and very public displays of corruption), with 20 you turn into a blight born! This way you would gain more and more marks and errational behaviour, if you don't stop in time and you would be put down before you have a chance of turning into abomination.

Of course any number you rolled didn't reduce your current corruption, but you need to rest and do some cleansing rituals to get rid of it.
Last edited by Barbarianbob on Fri 03 Sep 2021, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Barbarianbob

Fri 03 Sep 2021, 16:24

Barbarianbob

Fri 03 Sep 2021, 17:11

I was agreeing with this as first, but after reading comments from Jacob and others, I'll wait to see it "in play"

Cheers!

ShardCollector

Sat 04 Sep 2021, 07:01

Yes, we need to play a few games first.

Just occurred to me that if we want alternative rules, the easiest would be D20 + your corruption above the treshold. Just roll low and you'll be fine for a long time.

But let's try the original rules first a couple of times!

Ugglefar

Mon 06 Sep 2021, 03:27

Page 37: Corruption: "Corruption starts at 0 and increases from there. Most Corruption gathered is temporary, your character struggles against a dark foe, or uses non-permanent magic and their Shadow temporarily grows darker". - Consider writing "Most Corruption gathered is temporary;" instead.

Page 37: Corruption. - I think that you should mention somewhere that magic in Symbaroum doesn't use spell slots. Because people coming from D&D 5e will otherwise be confused.

Page 38: Mark of Corruption table. - I think many more of the different Marks of Corruption should cause disadvantage on social checks. Having a breath that smells of sulfur gives a disadvantage on a social check? But a smell of decay or eyes that turns black don't?

Page 40: Crafting. - Perhaps you could stress the difference between Crafting and the Blacksmith ability of Rune Smith and Sapper.

Ugglefar

Wed 15 Sep 2021, 04:15

I think it needs to be more clearly stated that when you gain a mark of Corruption that you have to make a new separate roll on the Mark of Corruption table.

It is very easy to interpret it like you are using the same dice roll as when you will see if you are getting a mark of Corruption or not.