Spat

Re: Alpha Feedback - Player's Guide Section 5 Resources

Thu 09 Sep 2021, 21:36

- p.192, Accurate Strike : If I understand well, the cantrip gives you 1 advantage per round during 1 minute, without Saving Throw. Such an improvement compared to True Strike, a revolution. Seems as powerful (and maybe more since there is no Save) than Faerie Fire that corrupts, and awards a Save. The cantrip will replace the 1st level spell for most players.
Some questions arise though and should be addressed : do you have to recast the spell to change target (action needed) ? or just pointing a finger (interaction) ? the 2nd option seems too powerful. Do you still get the Adv if the target moves out of range ?
p.194, Hellish Rebuke : the description of the spell does not specify what are the conditions to be able to take the Reaction that casts the spell. The definition of a Reaction in 5E is «  an instant response to a trigger of some kind ». You cannot just state « I take a Reaction », you need a trigger. The description of the spell « the creature that damaged you » seems to imply the trigger is the same than 5E, but then it should be written in the Casting Time area.
p.196, Spirit Walk : the long Casting Time (1 minute or 11 minutes as a Ritual) and the short duration (1 Turn) makes it impossible to use : you have a Turn in Combat, so you won’t have a minute to cast it. If this spell is a sort of 1st level Misty Step, maybe you should state that the caster can move a certain amount of feet before coming back to the material world, as it will not be cast in a sequence where the caster has a Turn, ie. An Action + a movement.
p.197, Black Breath : if you cast at 3rd level, you potentially heal 1d4+1+Ability. Do you check the permanent Corruption against 1d4 still, or 1d4+1 ?
p.197, Blood Bond : isn’t it a way to always avoid Permanent Corruption for Wizards, starting at level 3 ? I don’t see any limitation as Find Familiar and this spell can both be cast as Rituals. It seems a loophole in the Corruption system…
p.198, Exchange Shadow : the description should specify if the creature is aware of the attempt in case of successful save. It seems to imply so, but the DM should better be sure.
p.199, Shatter : the Duration is said to be 1 minute. It is Instantaneous in 5E, and the description is coherent with an instantaneous effect.
p.203, Larvae Boil : is there an attack roll needed to touch the victim ? If not it seems far more potent that Bestow Curse which inflicts 1d8/round with a Saving Throw at the same level.
p.203, Magic Circle : I don’t understand the part about communicating with Ordo Magica. It seems it should be part of the Spell Teleportation Circle, as this spell is about protection from creatures.
Last edited by Spat on Sat 11 Sep 2021, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.

akentecology

Fri 10 Sep 2021, 03:24

Weapon properties are great, add more!
Through the corruption mechanic Symbaroum pushes the players to not use magic as much as a 5e DnD game. You've added to the weapon properties list included balanced and ensnaring. I think the weapon properties should be expanded such that there is a further difference between axes, swords, spears, and maces. Here are some draft ideas to make different weapons perform differently in combat as compared to the base 5e DnD rules. The different effects would combine to produce some interesting results and give each weapon a strong character. For example a a halberd as a heavy, twohanded, reach, axe that deals slashing damage is different than a raiper which is a versatile, sword, dealing piercing damage.

Axes - If the axe damage die result is a 1 you may reroll that die but must accept that reroll
Maces/Clubs - Actions that knock a creature prone, push it, or disarm it while wielding a mace/club can do damage to the target equal to your strength modifier
Spears - Gain a +1 to AC while wielding a spear
Swords - Creatures that are threatened by a sword wielder still trigger an attack of opportunity even if the creature uses the disengage action
Reach - The wielder may use their reaction to make an attack of opportunity when a foe enters reach
Heavy - I like what you've added, maybe add that the damage modifier is increased by 1/2 the wielder's strength modifier.
Finesse - Damage bonus is equal to 1/2 dexterity modifier ( I really think full dex bonus to damage is unbalanced)
Slashing - On a critical hit you cause damage to the target creature equal to your strength or dexterity modifier at the beginning of your next turn
Piercing - On a critical hit you may reroll one damage die but must take the new value
Bludgeoning - On a critical hit the target creature may not use its reaction on its next turn

Spat

Fri 10 Sep 2021, 22:00

- p.204, Mass Healing Word : unlike other healing spells in the alpha, this one doesn’t heal an undead. Is it intentional ? Seems rather meta to allow it for 1st level healing word, and not the 3rd level version.
p.204, Purging Fire : is the fire supposed to inflict burnt scars to the Theurg ? The description could emphasize this element of role play.
p.206, Summon Daemon : Contested raw ability Checks are not used in 5E. Could you just specify in the text that it is a raw comparison of (d20+Cha modifier) between the sorcerer and the daemon, highest wins ? Usually 5E uses a skill comparison, just like in Infernal Calling, to possibly benefit your proficiency bonus. This way a more experienced caster could have a higher chance of success than a beginner.
- p.207, knowledge daemon : the sentence « The summoner can use its answer to make a contested Charisma check with the daemon » is unclear. Do you mean can use « its Action » or something similar ?
p.207, guardian daemon : « The daemon makes a Claws and a Daemon-glaive attack. » Claw should use singular probably, as Vindictive Daemon « a claw attack »,. Also, is the daemon 3-armed or claws on the legs ? A short description could help immersion. Same remark for Reactions, «  Claws attack », could be « claw attack » as Vindictive daemon.
p.208, Banishment : could you please specify what happens to undead, and in particular undead PC ?
p.208, Blight : Is it intended that the undead player characters are immune to this spell ?
p.210, Illusory Correction : « you must make a spell-casting ability check ». This means without your proficiency bonus. Is it intentional ? Usually 5E uses a Saving Throw or a skill, thus a more experienced caster could have a higher chance of success than a beginner.
p.212, Commune with Spirits : « Note that spirits have a very limited understand of time », « understanding » should be written I think. Also the Duration is « 1 minute », while the 3rd effect lasts 24 hours. Maybe « Special » is better.
p.213, Dispel Evil and Good : compared to 5E, this spell has been deprived of the proper « Dispel » effect. That turns the spell into a 5th level spell with small effect. Moreover, compared to Protection from Evil, 1st level, the spell does not provide protection against aberrations, blight-born.
p.214, Fire Soul : this will obviously be used to heal during quiet sequence. Where is the drawback ? Ritual, infinite healing… Shouldn’t there be a limit to the max hp one spell can heal, that compares to a 5th level healing spell, like 5th level Prayers of Healing ? And what about the equipment, is it burnt, do you have to be naked (I am looking for a drawback) ?
p.216, Mass Cure Wounds, with an * in the spell lists, but not in the full description.
p.214, Hold Monster : misses * in the description.
p.219, Freezing Sphere : the dimension translation is confusing « 81m square » could mean a square which side is 81m, it should be either « 81m2 square », or « 9m side square »
p.219, Heal and p.223 Mass Heal : they are the only Healing spells which have no *. Is it intentional ?
p.219, Living Fortress : « The fortress is approximated 20 feet on a side », « approximately » seems better, or even « the maximum length of a side is 20 feet » is more accurate. The damages are bludgeoning, while the description uses « thorny ». Maybe piercing is more coherent.
p.220, Patron Saint : misses * in the description
p.223, Blood Storm : « If a creature starts its turn in the storm or when it moves into the storm », the proper formulation should be « when it enters the storm for the 1st time on a turn ». Is the Wisdom Save to be able to act necessary each round, or you do it until you succeed once, then you are immune to this effect ? The description should specify this.

For the following possible errors, I took the following assumptions :
If a RoS spell has an *, it should be described as consulting a 5E book will not be enough to realize it
If a spell in RoS is missing its creator name, like « Tasha’s », it should be described
If a spell has an * in a list, there should be * in all lists (else it is just overwork for the DM in case a question arise).

p.188, possible Errors in the Theurg Spell Listing
Healing Word, Protection From Evil and Good, Remove Curse, Greater Restoration, Mass Cure Wounds, Etherealness miss *
Zone of Truth, Clairvoyance, Revivify, Speak with Dead, Death Ward, Scrying, Harm, Gate have an *, but are not in the spell description part. Would the * justify their presence ?

p.188, Errors in the Troll Singer spell listing :
Hold Monster, Forcecage misses *
Hideous Laughter, Irresistible Dance each have an * in the Troll Singer spell list, but are not in the spell description part. Would the * and missing (Tasha’s) justify their presence ?
Enthrall, Suggestion, Zone of Truth, Clairvoyance, Fear, Speak with Dead, Compulsion, Dimension Door, Polymorph, Greater Restoration, Mislead, Scrying, Eyebite, Feeblemind, Mind Blank, Power Word Stun, Power Word Kill each have an * in the Troll Singer spell list, but are not in the spell description part. Would the * justify their presence ?

p.190, Errors in the Wizard spell listing :
Floating Disk, it is in the Wizard spell list but not in the Description. Would the missing (Tenser’s) justify its presence ?
Hideous Laughter, Irresistible Dance each have an *, but are not in the spell description part. Would the * and missing (Tasha’s) justify their presence ?
Protection from Evil and Good, Banishment, Hold Monster, Mislead, Scrying, Forcecage, Demiplane, Power Word Stun, Gate miss *
Detect Thoughts, Levitate, Ray of Enfeeblement, Suggestion, Clairvoyance, Fear, Dimension Door, Fabricate, Polymorph, Eyebite, Flesh to Stone, Clone, Feeblemind, Mind Blank, Imprisonment, Power Word kill, Wish each have an * in the Wizard spell list, but are not in the spell description part. Would the * justify their presence ?
Tiny Hut, would the missing (Leomund’s) justify its presence in description ?
Black Tentacles : has an *, but is not in the spell description part. Would the * and missing (Evard ’s) justify its presence ?

p.187 : possible Errors in the Sorcerer Spell Listing
Alter Self, Clairvoyance, Fear, Dimension Door, Polymorph, Eyebite, Finger of Death have an *, but are not in the spell description part. Would the * justify their presence ?
Suggestion, Misty Step, Blight, Banishment, Confusion, Power Word Stun, Gate, Power Word Kill, Wish misses *, opposite other lists.
Black Tentacles : has an *, but is not in the spell description part. Would the * and missing (Evard ’s) justify its presence ?

p.189 : possible Errors in the Witch Spell Listing
Ray of Enfeeblement, Suggestion, Fear, Remove Curse, Dimension Door, Contact Other Plane, Scrying, Eyebite, Flesh to Stone, Finger of Death, Forcecage, Demiplane, Feeblemind, Power Word Stun, Imprisonment, Power Word Kill each have an *, but are not in the spell description part. Would the * justify their presence ?
Misty Step misses *.

I am exhausted !

Ugglefar

Sun 12 Sep 2021, 19:00

Page 185: Ruler's Ring: "Prominent mind-warping wizards often carry a gold ring on a finger, around the wrist or upper arm, or on the head in the form of a headband. To them, this represents the noble endeavor of the ruler. These rings are often instilled with the ability to dominate all living beings. If so, the gold ring gives the target of the spell disadvantage on its saving throw. This works only once per long or extended rest" - This is unclear. Judging from the context the target should have disadvantage on saving throws for mind controlling spells. But as it is written the target gets disadvantage on saving throws against spells in general. Ruler's Ring shouldn't make it harder for a target to dodge a Fireball right?

Page 186: Witch Braid: "This braid is made from three types of hair or fur and keeps death at bay, giving advantage to death saving throws. Non-player characters with a braid make death saving throws, with advantage as well." - I think you can remove the last sentence. It just made me confused if this is only useable by NPCs or not.

Page 187: Rituals are written in italics, however it is quite difficult to spot. Considering marking rituals in a different way.

Page 193: Maybe I read it too briefly, but how is your Burning Hands different from the official spell?

Page 194: Hellish Rebuke. Same as with Burning Hands, I cannot see what it is you have changed.

Jacob Rodgers

Sun 12 Sep 2021, 21:39

Page 193: Maybe I read it too briefly, but how is your Burning Hands different from the official spell?

Page 194: Hellish Rebuke. Same as with Burning Hands, I cannot see what it is you have changed.
There are no spell slots in Ruins of Symbaroum so the language regarding upcasting the spell has changed.

Ugglefar

Sun 12 Sep 2021, 22:17

There are no spell slots in Ruins of Symbaroum so the language regarding upcasting the spell has changed.

Ah! Understood. I guess I was staring blind at the numbers, range, duration et cetera, silly me.

akentecology

Mon 13 Sep 2021, 21:31

Since Symbaroum treats magic so differently should spell damage type matter? For example these could be additional effects of different spells if the target fails a spell DC

Fire: set on fire like alchemist fire
Cold: reduce speed by 5 ft
Lightning: target loses reaction on its next turn
Acid: -2 penalty to target AC
Radiant: -1 penalty to attack
Necrotic: -1 to target saves
Poison: causes the poison condition

Ugglefar

Mon 13 Sep 2021, 22:32

Since Symbaroum treats magic so differently should spell damage type matter? For example these could be additional effects of different spells if the target fails a spell DC

Fire: set on fire like alchemist fire
Cold: reduce speed by 5 ft
Lightning: target loses reaction on its next turn
Acid: -2 penalty to target AC
Radiant: -1 penalty to attack
Necrotic: -1 to target saves
Poison: causes the poison condition

The developers just want feedback on things in the alpha that might be wrong or poorly phrased in this particular thread. Suggestions to bigger changes should be done in a separate post.

Ugglefar

Wed 15 Sep 2021, 04:12

Page 187: I am surprised to not see Vampiric Touch among the Sorcerer's spells. Was it intentionally left of of the Sorcerer spells?

Page 196: Spirit Walk: I think some further explanations are needed of what actually happens when you enter the spirit world, and how this changes what you can do. Can you open a door and walk through it in the spirit world? Will the door in the real world also open?

Page 202: Flaming Servant: "You summon a creature of living fire to occupy a suit of armor that you provide. The summoned creature remains within 30 feet of you at all times and follows your commands. It shares your initiative count and you can use your bonus action to command it to attack a target. It can suppress its fiery nature to interact with objects normally or you can command it to use its action to set unattended flammable objects alight, such as wood or paper. If it is destroyed then you cannot summon the creature again until the next day." - I guess you can use your bonus action to not just make the Flaming Servant attack a target or set things on fire, but also to take other actions? Perhaps this should be rephrased.

Page 203: Larvae Boil. - Is Larvae Boil an automatic hit just like Magic Missile?

Page 216: Purgatory: "You choose a creature within range, it must make a Wisdom saving throw with its current total Corruption as the DC. On a failure, the target takes 8d6 radiant damage or half that amount on a success." - I think you should specify what happens when you use it against a fully corrupted creature.

Ugglefar

Wed 15 Sep 2021, 18:37

Page 219: Living Fortress. - Would vulnerability to fire be appropriate?

Page 220: Patron Saint. - I think you can clarify the rules of how the Patron Saint works in combat. Do you use your bonus action to order it around just like outside of combat? Do you treat it like a completely separate PC?

Page 221: Etherealness. - I would like to see more explanations of the rule differences between being in the spirit world, compared to being in the Yonderworld, cf. Spirit Walk (page 196).