Mattias_JH
Topic Author

Alpha Feedback - Player's Guide Section 4 Classes & Feats

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 11:49

Hello!
Please use this thread to report any typos or errors in Section 4 - Classes & Feats in the Alpha PDF of the Ruins of Symbaroum Player's Guide. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you want to discuss or feedback something that is not a clear error, don't do it here - instead, please start a new forum post the specific issue.
  • Please report your feedback no later than September 25, 2021. After this date, we are likely not able to make any further changes.
Thank you!

SaintVidar

Re: Alpha Feedback - Player's Guide Section 4 Classes & Feats

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 20:50

On page 137 under Ability Score Improvement or Feat, 14th level is not mentioned and as such doesn't match the table on the same page.

SaintVidar

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 20:54

Is the intention of Burdens to replace ASIs? Otherwise, there's no objective reason for players to take a "+2 bonus to an ability score and a negative effect" in exchange for "+2 to an ability score without the negative effect."

SaintVidar

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 21:16

Do any of the classes have race restrictions? There's verbiage in the text of some approaches or the title of the approach that suggest that. Whatever the intent, it should be called out. There is or there is not a restriction on origin for any given approach?

Barbarianbob

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 06:32

On page 137 under Ability Score Improvement or Feat, 14th level is not mentioned and as such doesn't match the table on the same page.
If i understand your question correctly, it's not to replace ASI. The rules simply state "Boons and burdens provide interesting features and roleplaying
hooks together in a package. Any character can take a boon or a burden."

Two things here, note it says "OR".... Boon "OR" Burden. If you want the "safer" Boon, take it. If you want the greater Burden, but risk of the challenge that goes with, go for it. On or the other, not both.
And the other thing, though I did not see it stated, i would require this choice to be at first level.

Now, we'll wait and see if I am correct in my assumptions :D

goonytunes

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 09:54

page 97: Polearm Fighting: "when wielding a weapon with reach, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on a melee attack roll [made against you]" ? Or is this any melee attack roll made within 5ft. of you, say against an ally within 5ft of you? This also appears on page 136.
page 99: Squad Orders, "Stand fast!" -- "advantage on saving [throws or] ability checks"
page 106: Trapper: "At 3rd level, [you] become proficient with alchemical and mechanical traps."
page 109: the Corruption Threshold formula here is different than that listed page 37 - is the formula different for Mystics?
page 109: Each time you gain a level of mystic, are you allowed to change your favored spells?
page 112: "Independent mystics are not burdened with the theories of traditions..." (remove the 'a' in "theories of a traditions")
page 125: the description on the bottom right corner of the picture is not in English - just wondering if this is placeholder text?
page 127: Cunning Action: "You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This [bonus] action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action" (clarify bonus action).
page 129: Wilderness Home - remove the 2nd period at the end of "safe location."
page 131: Cheap Shot, 9th level - Cunning Action already covers both Dash and Disengage as a bonus action, you may only have to list Dodge (or clarify to add Dodge to your list of actions to take as part of your Cunning Action).
page 133: Acrobatic Fighter - it sounds like there is a sentence missing in the 2nd part of this feature, like "When you are hit with a melee weapon attack, you may choose to use your reaction in an attempt to dodge the attack. By using your reaction you can make a..." This also appears on page 144.

iamrpgdm

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 10:08

Page 137: Action Surge - This text was replaced in later PHB printings so there wasn't confusion on multiple bonus actions. https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/dow ... endium.pdf
From - "On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action."
To - "On your turn, you can take one additional action."

goonytunes

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 10:15

Is the intention of Burdens to replace ASIs? Otherwise, there's no objective reason for players to take a "+2 bonus to an ability score and a negative effect" in exchange for "+2 to an ability score without the negative effect."
I agree here - if a player has the choice to take a +2 ASI for any ability score, there's no reason to risk taking the negative trait of a Burden feat for the same bonus (other than juicy RP). Unless the Burden bonus was made more enticing or you forced players to take feats at certain levels, players would just take the ASI instead (or at least my min-max players would).

SoulAngel

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 13:02

Same remark for burden. Except if you are kind of masochist...

My players ask if "burden" was not a feat but a free stuff that you can take with an high bonus but a risk associated (but don't count for a feat).

SaintVidar

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 15:00

Pg 136 - Polearm fighting isn't specific about where disadvantage can be imposed. I suggest the wording, "When wielding a polearm you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on a melee attack roll against any 'target of the original attack' within reach." This is taking into account 3 things: (1) the definition of a polearm is well-defined, (2) you want the target of the original attack and not the attacker in reach and (3) you meant to include spell melee attacks as well.