Mattias_JH
Topic Author

Alpha Feedback - Player's Guide Section 3 Character Origins

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 11:48

Hello!
Please use this thread to report any typos or errors in Section 3 - Character Origins in the Alpha PDF of the Ruins of Symbaroum Player's Guide. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you want to discuss or feedback something that is not a clear error, don't do it here - instead, please start a new forum post the specific issue.
  • Please report your feedback no later than September 25, 2021. After this date, we are likely not able to make any further changes.
Thank you!

Chekmx

Re: Alpha Feedback - Player's Guide Section 3 Character Origins

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 17:15

Page 65: In boxed text trolls Goblins and Ogres

Reads

These “misshapen trolls”
also lack the rage trolls’ hunger and strong instinct to
head down into the Underworld.

Should this be

These “misshapen trolls”
also lack the average trolls’ hunger and strong instinct to
head down into the Underworld.

sandor7

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 19:46

a distinction is made between knowing a language and speaking/writing a language (abducted human p.44 "Languages. Abductees speak Elvish but cannot read elven writing if they do not have the Loremaster feature (page 105)."). is there a mechanic for literacy that i'm not seeing? how would an abducted human (or anyone else) learn to read?

Jacob Rodgers

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 19:53

a distinction is made between knowing a language and speaking/writing a language (abducted human p.44 "Languages. Abductees speak Elvish but cannot read elven writing if they do not have the Loremaster feature (page 105)."). is there a mechanic for literacy that i'm not seeing? how would an abducted human (or anyone else) learn to read?
See Training on page 41. It would be up to the GM to figure out exact possibilities, probably involving some roleplay is seeking out a tutor.

sandor7

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 20:44

outstanding! i can work with that. thank you.

SoulAngel

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 20:45

p.73:

• Skill Proficiencies: Animal Handling, Athletics, Nature, or Survival

i think it miss "choose one" or common folk is the most nice background with 4 skills :p

sandor7

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 21:48

i don't see a section dictating or suggesting how ability scores are determined. is this a limitation of the OGL? are we advised to use the 27 point buy/4d6 keep 3 in the basic rules? is there a recommended alternatives that best captures the PCs' roles in the setting?

Jacob Rodgers

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 22:29

i don't see a section dictating or suggesting how ability scores are determined. is this a limitation of the OGL? are we advised to use the 27 point buy/4d6 keep 3 in the basic rules? is there a recommended alternatives that best captures the PCs' roles in the setting?
Yes, this is a limit of the OGL. When playtesting we used the standard array.

SoulAngel

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 23:22

P.83: • Tough Skin. Ogres can withstand more hurt than most other creatures. When rolling for hit points, roll the Hit Die twice and use the higher result. If using the average result, use 6
P.86:Tough Skin. Trolls can withstand more hurt than most other creatures. When rolling for hit points, roll the die twice and pick the higher result.

So i don't know if it's intended but the last part "If using the average result, use 6", is present for Ogres but not for Trolls

sandor7

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 00:18

extra space on page 48: rev ealed should be revealed.
"A changeling’s lot in life is usually a hard one, since few
of them are allowed to stay with their families when their
true nature has been rev ealed."