Spat

Re: Alpha Feedback - Player's Guide Section 3 Character Origins

Sat 04 Sep 2021, 14:22

I have the feeling that the Goblin "Dodge as a Bonus Action without cost" feature is overpowered.
If you calculate an average human 5th level warrior with standard array, (16 str, 13 deg, 16 con with chain shirt, shield, longsword, Dueling, 43hp),
opposed to a similar goblin (16 str, 14 deg, 14 con, 32hp, same armor but only short sword)
the Goblin has a probability to hit the human of 55%, while the human in return has only 25% due to this Dodge feature.
The result is that the human gets killed almost all the time if you roll dice. Human is killed in 5th round average, goblin 7th round, the difference is huge.

I think this feature overcompensate the d6 hit die and would entice players to play goblins fighters (one should not underestimate the will of players to make the most of rules, especially in 5e systems).
I would rule it should come with a price such as :
- having Disadvantage on your next (or next round) attack roll when you use Dodge as a BA, you are unbalanced by your Dodge.
This is the opposite formulation of 5e Barbarian Reckless attack if you apply full round disadvantage.
- you can use it once every other round as the effort is huge.
Last edited by Spat on Sun 05 Sep 2021, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

chumpinski

Sun 05 Sep 2021, 06:58

I noticed a comment in another section about general capitalizations and thought this one might be a mistake.

Pg 48 3rd paragraph: Wizards is capitalized. Not sure it should be a proper noun in this instance.

Pg 49: blank.. (maybe awaiting an image?)

Pg 75: Under BOND: # 3. wargear should be war gear ?

Pg 78: First paragraph: "silver thaler" I thought I read thaler were gold, or is it also a generic term for coin or money too?

Ugglefar

Mon 06 Sep 2021, 17:27

I have the feeling that the Goblin "Dodge as a Bonus Action without cost" feature is overpowered.
If you calculate an average human 5th level warrior with standard array, (16 str, 13 deg, 16 con with chain shirt, shield, longsword, Dueling, 43hp),
opposed to a similar goblin (16 str, 14 deg, 14 con, 32hp, same armor but only short sword)
the Goblin has a probability to hit the human of 55%, while the human in return has only 25% due to this Dodge feature.
The result is that the human gets killed almost all the time if you roll dice. Human is killed in 5th round average, goblin 7th round, the difference is huge.

I think this feature overcompensate the d6 hit die and would entice players to play goblins fighters (one should not underestimate the will of players to make the most of rules, especially in 5e systems).
I would rule it should come with a price such as :
- having Disadvantage on your next (or next round) attack roll when you use Dodge as a BA, you are unbalanced by your Dodge.
This is the opposite formulation of 5e Barbarian Reckless attack if you apply full round disadvantage.
- you can use it once every other round as the effort is huge.

Perhaps you could give goblins a flat AC bonus? The Warforged origin from the Eberron setting gets +1 AC because they are made of wood and iron. Perhaps goblins can get a flat +1 or +2 to AC because they are good at dodging?

Ugglefar

Tue 07 Sep 2021, 05:42

Skill Proficiencies and Tool Proficiencies: Sometimes the text says (choose one), sometimes it doesn't, even though it's clear that you should only choose one. Please change this so it is consistent for every background.

Page 51: Feature: Student of Magic. "You have much practice in the ways of magic and the danger of Corruption. Your temporary Corruption Threshold is 1 higher than it would be otherwise." - Should it really say "temporary Corruption Threshold"? Isn't it just "Corruption Threshold?

Page 58: "See the Ruins of Symbaroum Bestiary on page XX for more information." - Don't forget to update page number.

Page 80: "Word of the duo has also reached Thistle Hold where they have become the subjects of a series of popular songs, supposedly recounting their adventures in the ruins of Symbaroum." - I'm not sure if "ruins of Symbaroum" should be in italics in this specific example.

Page 86: Pariah: "Humans are fearful of trolls so a troll making a Charisma check involving a human has disadvantage. A troll that succeeds at a Charisma (Intimidation) check involving one or more humans however will mean that the humans are frightened of the troll for one minute or until the troll leaves the immediate area (whichever comes first)." - Do you still have a disadvantage on your Charisma (Intimidation) check? As the text is written now you should have disadvantage on your Charisma (Intimidation) check to scare a human. Is this correct?

Page 88: "Tool Proficiencies: Any artisan’s tool" - I guess you should only get tool proficiencies with one type of tools? Now it sounds like you have proficiencies with any type of artisan's tool. Which is correct?

Page 91: Undead: "You do not naturally heal during a long rest, instead you must either drink blood or consume raw flesh during a long rest to restore your single Hit Die, which you can then use to regain hit points or reduce temporary Corruption." - But as the rules are written now for a long rest you do not regain a Hit Die from a long rest. I have seen this conflict in other parts of the text. See citation below:
Page 35: Long rest: "You recover hit points equal to the maximum value of your Hit Die (e.g. 8 for 1d8) plus your Constitution modifier. This does not count as using a Hit Die." - It doesn't say that you actually get a Hit Die.

Page 92: Revenant. - "Witch Hunters" is sometimes written with capital letters throughout the book, sometimes lowercase.

Spat

Tue 07 Sep 2021, 11:44

Perhaps you could give goblins a flat AC bonus? The Warforged origin from the Eberron setting gets +1 AC because they are made of wood and iron. Perhaps goblins can get a flat +1 or +2 to AC because they are good at dodging?
Well, exactly, one could re-use one of the numerous rules published by WoTC in one of the books, re flavor it, and thus not change the overall balance of the game. Just check the odds at the end to see if you are satisfied. I am disappointed that the team for RoS has chosen to try so many new rules, obviously giving more powers to PC than in 5E. I think the general balance between all character classes is one of the key point of 5E, so everybody can have fun.
I have read in RoS many rules that could change the balance : each permanent dis / advantage rules corresponds in average to -25% / +25% probability for the middle range (10 needed on the d20).
So these players will not be in the same league than players without the feature. What do you do as a DM ? Big monsters adjusted for the goblin but they would kill the other PCs ? Normal monsters that are no challenge for the goblin PC ? there's no good solution and there is a big risk of frustration.

Spat

Wed 08 Sep 2021, 09:08

Or another way, the problem of the Goblins is that they have fewer hp : Give them Dodge Dice, a number of d6 equal to their proficiency bonus, and they can activate them as a Reaction when they take damage from an Attack or a Dex Saving Throw. When they do so, they can reduce the amount of damage sustained by d6+Dex modifier.
This way all origins have in the end approximately the same hp, and you don't have to introduce permanent Adv / Dis.
You can do the same for Saving Throws, or special attacks from Classes.