jonathanpay
Topic Author

Sharing 5e Homebrew in anticipation of Ruins of Symbaroum's release

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 23:12

Hi all,

This is in particular a question for team Symbaroum/Free League: I'm a co-gm and player in my group's Ruins of Symbaroum campaign that we started last year with the release of the Ruins of Symbaroum PDF. We've gone on to brew our own player options based on the original Symbaroum core rules and Advanced Player's Guide. I've collected it into a PDF using the Symbaroum FLW template and would love to share it here for others to use and feedback to, what I would also like is for someone from Free League to give me the okay to use the character option fluff for different origins and Approaches? I can strip them out if it's a definite "no", but would love a "yes". Either way I hope to share what we've made next week.

pagnabros

Re: Sharing 5e Homebrew in anticipation of Ruins of Symbaroum's release

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 04:12

I would absolutely love to see what your group has done to expand the ruins of Symbaroum playtest, so I really hope for a "green light" from Free League :)

n4tune8

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 14:08

I would really like to see what you have. I was planning on doing a Symbaroum to SotDL conversion myself, so seeing the work of another homebrewer would surely give me good ideas.

pagnabros

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 18:26

I think that a Symbaroum conversion to SotDL would be extremely interesting. I hope you will share it with us once you are comfortable!

n4tune8

Mon 03 May 2021, 00:02

Jonathan, did you ever get an answer? Could you post just the first two pages so that we can see what it looks like?
On my end, I started gathering the assets I needed (fonts, art, etc.) and worked a bit on an MSWord document. I have to admit that I had a lot to learn about layout in Word. On the contents side, I know what I need to write (character creation, origins, novice/expert/master paths, leveling up, challenge resolution, combat, etc...)
I will stick with Symbaroum spells/rituals and beasts only.

n4tune8

Fri 07 May 2021, 21:51

I think that a Symbaroum conversion to SotDL would be extremely interesting. I hope you will share it with us once you are comfortable!
It would be nice, but I'm not sure I could share such a document without stepping on the toes of both Free League and Schwalb Entertainment and breaking all kinds of copyright laws...
In the mean time, here's what I have for now ;) .

pagnabros

Sat 08 May 2021, 02:00

For what I understand, if you are not sharing their entire ruleset and you don't sell it for money, you should be pretty safe :)

jonathanpay
Topic Author

Tue 25 May 2021, 10:34

Hey, so I reached out to support@ with a link to the content we'd made asking if it was okay to share. MJH replied, shared it with ML and JR, and returned with approval to share!

I mention this in the intro copy in the document, but it’s important to note three things:
  • First, that this document is not complete, and may never be. The layout is not perfect.
  • Second, we have liberally, and admittedly without permission, used the setting fluff that is included with the original origins and approaches from Symbaroum. (We have, since writing the above, received permission to share this document from Free League, so there is I suppose implicit permission in using their content.)
  • Third, that we have not taken care to only refer to the 5E System Reference Document when deciding on class features or spells to include. Some of this content will not be available for FLP to use in RoS as it was taken from published D&D content.
We were not originally going to share what we had made, however we have taken the plunge to prepare the following homebrew for those who are anticipating the official conversion from Free League. We hope this document helps others who are eagerly anticipating the full Ruins of Symbaroum release, and can spark good conversation around the rules we’ve suggested.

Best wished from the RoS group at London RPG Community.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwxnv12vub2cy ... e.pdf?dl=0
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

n4tune8

Tue 25 May 2021, 19:32

Thank you for sharing this with us. I can see there was a lot of work behind this. I really like what you did with Witch paths and talents.

Just a heads up, the Witch hunter specialties do not have the right header style.

pagnabros

Wed 26 May 2021, 16:05

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community, it looks really well made at first glance!