Jacob Rodgers
Topic Author

Re: Designers' Journal

Sun 14 Feb 2021, 18:26

Any news on the developing of the core rules?
Sure! It turns out that the conversions of items and such are not super exciting material for an update but the process is done, along with lesser artifacts. We also finished up the feats system, including some that are only available to certain origins or certain classes. There are a fair bit and will really help customize the 5e character much the same way you can build a character in Symbaroum right now. This means that most everything that's expected to appear in a player's guide exists as words on the page, which is good news.

But we're aiming for a holistic approach, so we are also thinking and working on things like greater artifacts, troupe play, expeditions into Davokar and other GM-facing material right now. Parts of it are just good advice, so that translates very easily and then we just need to give you new mechanical handles to make things make sense in the 5e system. I'm really thrilled with the troupe system — it does regular a little bit of math but the multiple characters and multiple levels that it makes possible is worth it (and not to scare anyone on the math, its very much 'take one number, divide it by this number, that's your result. For each character of this level range take the result and multiple it by a number and that's the XP the character gets. And if you use an alternative levelling system, it's even easier :) ).

Rangertheman

Mon 15 Feb 2021, 11:09

From the sound of it, The Ruins of Symbaroum will be the best 5E-implementation ever. Better than D&D even ;-)
Proofreader Extraordinaire

Vegaserik

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 03:10

From the sound of it, The Ruins of Symbaroum will be the best 5E-implementation ever. Better than D&D even ;-)
This and Adventures in Middle Earth for a good non-magic system. I'm really looking forward to playing Symbaroum 5e.

pagnabros

Tue 16 Feb 2021, 20:10

Given the fact that Jacob was one of the main designer behind Adventures in Middle Earth, I think it surely look promising!

Falenthal

Fri 05 Mar 2021, 11:06

Given the fact that Jacob was one of the main designer behind Adventures in Middle Earth, I think it surely look promising!
He should do a 5e conversion to 5e! It surely would improve the game!

pagnabros

Sun 21 Mar 2021, 18:31

Just curious, any juicy news on the progress made?

Jacob Rodgers
Topic Author

Mon 22 Mar 2021, 15:25

He should do a 5e conversion to 5e! It surely would improve the game!
Don't tempt me!

Jacob Rodgers
Topic Author

Mon 22 Mar 2021, 15:29

Just curious, any juicy news on the progress made?
Juicy is hard to say, as we're spending our time right now in some final adjustments for the player-facing rules when we are not in the deeps of Davokar, working on exploration rules and statting up various beasties. There's going to be some very exciting news soon, but we can't say anything just yet.

jonathanpay

Tue 23 Mar 2021, 21:01

Hey - really looking forward to the next update/release! My group has done some really strong work in home brewing the rest of the races and classes which, while admittedly biased, I think they've done a great job (though I made the mistake of sharing the Advanced Player's Guide and they're latched on to a lot from in there) and we've dived right into "converting" some of the adventures as well.
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

Jacob Rodgers
Topic Author

Tue 23 Mar 2021, 22:48

Hey - really looking forward to the next update/release! My group has done some really strong work in home brewing the rest of the races and classes which, while admittedly biased, I think they've done a great job (though I made the mistake of sharing the Advanced Player's Guide and they're latched on to a lot from in there) and we've dived right into "converting" some of the adventures as well.
How exciting! Hopefully our answers will be close to your answers! :) More news coming soon...