Jacob Rodgers
Topic Author

Re: Designers' Journal

Tue 07 Sep 2021, 17:27

Hey everyone! I'd like to thank everyone for the excellent feedback so far and please keep it coming. All of the input is very appreciated and we'll be balancing out all of our goals and limitations as we work to provide the very best presentation of the Symbaroum setting through the lense of the 5e system.
Tough Decisions
I want to touch base on one of the core concepts that we haven't mentioned much, but is really important. The principle is probably most easily exemplified by board games. If you're playing a game and want to do three, four, or five different things on your turn but can only do two then that's a tough decision. It's what makes strategy boardgames interesting, having to make the best decision with limited resources. I think that's important for roleplaying games too, at least in the mechanical engagement sense (of course with a rpg you can have so much more going on, because your decisions will affect the other player-characters and the npcs as well).

A class that has two or three different things that they can do with their bonus action is a class that has tough (or at least strategic) decisions to make. Whereas if that same class had 1 power tied to the start of a character's turn, one tied to their bonus action and one tied to their reaction, then there's no longer a scarcity of resources any more, the class can just do it all and is more powerful for that. Of course we don't want to overly weaken a particular class/culture/feat etc. either but we do want to try and make it interesting to decide whether you're going to be aggressive, defensive, or just plain clever this turn.