samirvsmachine
Topic Author

Intelligence Issue in 5E

Fri 03 Jul 2020, 15:32

Unless you are a spellcaster Intelligence is underrated in 5e. Make Intelligence (at least) meaningful.
If you are a melee class (i.e. D&D Fighter) there is no reason whatsoever to have Intelligence at lower level.
Intelligence doesn't give you anything except excellence in checks involving Intelligence.
The same happens with Charisma, and Wisdom at some level, but Wisdom saves will resist mental effects so is even more useful.
Maybe give you an extra 1d4 bonus on checks with one skill specialty (i.e. Climb, Jump, or Swim for Athletics) per Intelligence modifier.

pagnabros

Re: Intelligence Issue in 5E

Fri 03 Jul 2020, 15:57

I use a house rules for my 5e games to make Intelligence a little more worthy.

You receive "skill points" equal to your Intelligence modifier. You can spend 1 point to gain proficiency in one tool or language, you can spend 2 points to gain proficiency in one skill or you can spend 3 points to gain expertise (double proficiency bonus) in a skill in which you already have proficiency.

So for example, a character with an Intelligence score of 16 and a modifier of +3 will have 3 skill points to spend. They can either spend it buying one skill and one tool/language, any combination of three tools/languages or a single expertise in one skill they are proficient with.

If you permanently increase your Intelligence score and you gain a better Intelligence modifier (so for example magical item increases such as headband of intellect doesn't count), you gain another skill points and you can choose to immediately spend it or bank it for later.

Hope this helps!

Rymdhamster

Fri 03 Jul 2020, 18:44

I think a key point would be looking over the saves. I believe most saves go towards dex, con or wis. Checking over that would do a lot to make all abilities feel relevant.

AmbrianLeonhardt

Fri 03 Jul 2020, 21:39

I feel like languages are really important in Symbaroum, so Intelligence shouldn't be a dump stat too often. Charisma is needed because the Corruption Threshold is based on it.