SoulAngel
Topic Author

Learning spells

Wed 08 Dec 2021, 17:56

Hi,

I've read the mystic class and i've question.
It's said:
Leveled Spells
You know two 1st level spells from the spell list belonging to your mystical approach. When you gain a level in mystic
you learn another spell, which can be any spell on your list, up to the spell level shown on the Mystic table. You can also swap one spell you already know for another one of the same level.

Ok it's clear, it's mean that a mystic will know around 12 spells around level 10 (except cantrips) and around 22 at its lvl 20. But there is no mention on how learning new spell (in classic d&d 5e, the wizard can copy scroll in its grimoire, cleric know them all...).

And i look the scoundrel / former cultist... and the table of spell known... and at lvl 9, it knows:
-4 lvl 1
-3 lvl 2
-2 lvl 3
-1 lvl 4
==> so... 10 spells. Is it normal for a non caster to be able to cast so many spells... or did i miss something and others mystics can learn new spell otherwise (except by gaining level or for some very specific features)?

rolling

Re: Learning spells

Mon 13 Dec 2021, 14:55

There are two class feats for mystic which give more spells - Dedicated Focus p155 and Extensive Learning p156.

SoulAngel
Topic Author

Tue 14 Dec 2021, 03:24

I know but is it strange that a dedicated Mystic like wizard subclass know same amount of spell than a scoundrel that does Magic?
And if the Mystic want to know more spell, it's a feat...

I think i will nerf cultist or boost Mystic in terms if spell,this is kind illogic.

Jacob Rodgers

Tue 14 Dec 2021, 16:11

Without those feats, a mystic at 9th level knows 6 cantrips and 13-14 different spells (three of those are rituals, which can still be cast as regular spells if you pay the Corruption — not optimal but in a dangerous situation might be worth it) and up to 5th level. Also, some of those spells can be favored, or their cost mitigated by other techniques.

The former cultist only knows 5 cantrips and 10 spells. They have no options for rituals, no favored spells and max out at 4th level. Also, they gain their spells in chunks and don't swap spells... this means a mystic has a more constant rate of improvement and can tailor their list to current challenges, while the former cultist is much more "set in stone".

rolling

Tue 14 Dec 2021, 16:45

Without those feats, a mystic at 9th level knows 6 cantrips and 13-14 different spells (three of those are rituals, which can still be cast as regular spells if you pay the Corruption — not optimal but in a dangerous situation might be worth it) and up to 5th level. Also, some of those spells can be favored, or their cost mitigated by other techniques.

The former cultist only knows 5 cantrips and 10 spells. They have no options for rituals, no favored spells and max out at 4th level. Also, they gain their spells in chunks and don't swap spells... this means a mystic has a more constant rate of improvement and can tailor their list to current challenges, while the former cultist is much more "set in stone".
Please could you confirm the bold part Jacob. I have copied "Ritual Casting" from page 110 in the Mystic section for reference:

Ritual Casting
At 2nd level, you may choose a spell that you do not already know that is on your mystic approach spell list, has the ritual tag, and does not exceed your current maximum spell level. If you do so, you gain permanent Corruption (see page 37) equal to half the spell level, rounded up. If the ritual is a cantrip, you gain no permanent Corruption. You can only cast the chosen spell as a ritual – the ritual version of a spell takes 10 minutes longer to cast than normal and can only be cast at its base level. You gain no Corruption from casting one of these spells. You may also learn another spell as a ritual using these rules at 5th, 7th, 11th and 14th level.

SoulAngel
Topic Author

Tue 14 Dec 2021, 18:11

Same question than above, it has its importance (and i think it's a good idea for a caster to be able to cast ritual spell as normal spell (if possible)), that gave them the knowledge of more spells and give them more flexibiity.

Jacob Rodgers

Tue 14 Dec 2021, 18:31

Oops! I got ahead of myself and should have double-checked. The book is right, the forum-posting is incorrect. Sorry!

That said, if you do allow it and require the mystic to pay Corruption then it should be okay.

SoulAngel
Topic Author

Tue 14 Dec 2021, 21:03

Thx for the answer,i'll take this idea!

zook

Tue 07 Jun 2022, 01:59

Here comes a little necromancy.

What about spells learned normal way (aka not from Ritual Casting feature). Can a Mystic with Ritual Casting cast them as rituals? Or spell MUST be learned by RC to make it possible to cast as ritual?