Bragison

Re: Final pdf delivery

Tue 07 Dec 2021, 15:45

Yeah, the humans are divided into Ambrians and Barbarians on the next page, each of which have their own language. Sorry for the confusion.
The problem is, the next page doesn't mention languages at all either, neither the Ambrian section nor the Barbarian section. I guess it's kind of assumed to be obvious, but all the other races specifically mention Languages as one of their stats, and I just ran a session zero with my players last night and the guys playing humans were really confused because they had no idea that Ambrian and Barbarian were the two main languages. One of them even defaulted to just taking Common before I corrected him, since it didn't mention anything else and that's what he's used to in 5e.

SoulAngel

Tue 07 Dec 2021, 20:41

Small question... i've didn't pay attention to it at my first reading.

But the only way to regain Hit dice is by an extended rest... which is the mark of the end of an adventure (according to the player's guide). o_o.
Is an adventure a game session or the end of a campaign... is it a bit harsch cause HD is the main way to regain HP or lost corruption

the power of the self taught, Natural Alchemy, is completely overpowered!! Medicus seems to be so lame when you compare!

Maybe i will introduce the fact than you regain 25% of your HD during a long rest... like that a lvl 8 char can regain 2HD during a long rest... otherwise i don't know how players can really survive during the game (like during the haunted waste campaign there is kind like 0 safe place in all aberetor...)... so like 0 HD regain during the whole campaign ??

Or maybe Jacob and its team forget something and long rest allows players to regain some HD... (like original d&d, half of your HD during a long rest).

Jacob Rodgers

Wed 08 Dec 2021, 00:17

The difference between long rests and extended rests is very intentional. Extended rests often mark the end of an adventure, or at least reaching a place that is totally safe. It certainly should be a goal for players to do so and it is very strong limiting factor in preventing Ruins of Symbaroum characters from being 'fantasy superheroes' that a very generous interpretation of the regular 5e rules would encourage.

We do have a variety of mechanisms for getting some Hit Dice back or mitigating/helping their use:

Overall
Everyone always gets the equivalent of using one HD (with the maximum value showing) every long rest. You always heal a little bit.
Captain
  • Field Dressings - Extra 1d6/1d8/1d10/1d12 hp when you also use a HD
    War Stories - Restore X HD (where X=your proficiency bonus) to everyone you share a rest with. 1/2 times per extended rest
Mystic
  • some approaches can cast healing spells
    Natural Alchemy - in a wild place, generate X tonics (where X=proficiency bonus) once per long rest. Each tonic restores 1 HD.
    Symbolists can regenerate hp, avoiding the need to spend HD for hp (how good a deal this is depends on level and other sources of Corruption)
    Medicus (Theurg) - restore double X HD per extended rest / restore double X (HD + 1d8 + Wis mod), so the affected creature essential gets the effect of the HD immediately and gets to keep the HD to use in any way they wish.
    Nature's Bounty (Witch) - can make Alchemical Elixirs in the wild.
Scoundrel
  • Channeling (Former Cultist) - you could select spells that provide healing
    Firetube (Sapper). - this gives you proficiency with alchemist's supplies, more about being able to make your own ammunition, but can be used for Elixirs as well.
    Alchemical Expert (Sapper) - this is a late game feature more to do with keeping yourself supplied with ammunition, but can be used for Elixirs as well.
    Alchemy (Treasure Hunter) - this can allow the character to make Elixirs, such as Herbal Cure, which can help mitigate the need to spend HD.
Warrior
  • Battle Wind - these temporary hit points can prevent the need to spend a HD on healing.
    Medicus (Templar) - qualify for the base version of Medicus.
    Rage (Berserker) - resistance to common damage types reduces HD usage.
Feats
  • Robust (Troll) - damage reduction makes trolls less likely to need more HD, preferably freeing up them for other members of the party.
    Ravenous Hunger (Undead) - allows undead to keep themselves at a minimum threshold without spending HD.
So there's a variety of things — we want folks to sometimes get HD back, but we want it to be something special. Natural Alchemy itself is a matter of Gamemaster interpretation. It certainly doesn't work if the character is in an urban or cultivated environment. It probably doesn't work if they spend their whole day digging in the dirt at one location (no chance to gather the herbs or treat them). Compared to Medicus, it's going to be a matter of how many times the Self-taught Mage gets to use it, versus how many times Medicus can be used and at what level. And, of course, the Theurg has lots of other options for restoring hit points, whereas the Self-taught has a few less.

SoulAngel

Wed 08 Dec 2021, 01:16

Last edited by SoulAngel on Wed 08 Dec 2021, 02:21, edited 2 times in total.

SoulAngel

Wed 08 Dec 2021, 01:27

I had a question from one of my player that create a mystic artifact crafter:

Artifact Expert
At 3rd level, you know something about the powerful secrets of the old rune smiths. At higher levels you are able to create
lesser artifacts.
At 3rd level, you can attempt an Intelligence (Investigation) check to determine the spell associated with a talisman.
The DC is equal to 10 plus the spell level (DC 10 for cantrips).
If you do not know the spell invested into the talisman you cannot use the talisman.

What is the goal of that? We didn't understand at all... if a artifact crafter create its own talisman... he had to identify it to know the spell inside?? o_O
I think we miss something.

Jacob Rodgers

Wed 08 Dec 2021, 02:04

This ability allows the Artifact Crafter to identify the spell that the talisman has been prepared for, perhaps one belonging to a colleague, rival or found in an ancient ruin. So it's all about being able to determine what someone else's talisman might do.

SoulAngel

Wed 08 Dec 2021, 02:14

Mmmm ok it's clearer now! Thanks for the very quick answer!

And about extended rest (sorry to come back on this subject but i think it's a core mechanics and i don't want to miss that). The term adventures is kind of
So for an entire campaign, like the haunted waste, how many extended rest do you recommand?
One by game session is a nice ratio or is it too much or not enough? I don't want to be too strict or too nice with them....
Or if my players don't have any extended rest during 5 or 6 game sessions, is it normal or not?

because lot of powers/capabilites/features are linked to extended rests...

Jacob Rodgers

Wed 08 Dec 2021, 05:06

I think it's going to be heavily determinate on the structure of the adventure and when/if the player characters seek out the required safety. They certainly can't take extended rests during normal travel (though they might decide to seek a place to take an extended rest while travelling) or in a camp where there are different factions, some of which intend harm to the player characters. In a town, it might be a judgement call about how close the danger is, and what resources their enemies can bring to bear. You're almost always best off letting the players take the lead here... once their characters are feeling worn down and on the edge then they should start taking measures to find an extended rest and then it's up to your judgement about how easy or difficult that is. You will want to be a fan of the players and help them tell an exciting story. But sometimes that means keeping them on edge ... if there is no clear path to an extended rest and negotiating with the next big bad anyways will open up a more interesting story then don't bend over backwards to create a non-credible extended rest just because they are low on resources.