pagnabros

Re: Final pdf delivery

Fri 03 Dec 2021, 22:44

To answer Ugglefar: As you said, at this point I think the only possible solution for my playing group is by homebrewing, which I hoped until last I didn't need to, but there are too many things me and my group dislike to just ignore them. Maybe it would be simpler to just use the old system, which I already partly revised.

To answer Jacob: I appreciate you took the time to answer my concerns, but I still believe that the design principles were just too simplistic (even more than the subclasses in the PHB) for our kind of group, which is composed by veteran of RPGs and have played 5e edition since the beginning. Many classes/approaches just don't feel exciting to play for us because they don't have enough interesting features. For example, the 17th capstone of the Tattoo Fighter approach, which should be the culmination of it, is that the extra damage bonus die per attack increases from 1d10 to 1d12, which is mathematically equal to a +4 damage if I hit with ALL my attacks. This is simple unacceptable for us on so many levels, and I don't think I need to explain too much why. To give an alternative, a capstone that would feel at least worthy could be that you can activate your tattoo to act as repellent against magic and give you advantage on saving throws for 1 minute at the cost of 3 corruptions (once per long rest if you wanna limit it further). This is an unique feature that feel powerful, is simple and give you an interesting option. Not a boring, unconditional increase to damage.

So even if it breaks my heart to say this, but the Symbaroum 5e rules for me and my group is unusable as it stands currently, and while certainly other groups that focus less on mechanics could still play it and have fun, that is mostly because for their priorities they could play with any system and have fun regardless.

SoulAngel

Sat 04 Dec 2021, 00:51

I will give another tone...

I was quiet anxious about the final result of the book because the alpha was full of technical mistake and fluff error.

I've read the entire player guide... and i m quite surprised (in good).

I don't agree with all choices (like the same HD for nearly every one) but i can notice a lot of effort has been made and i'm globally satisfied with the design choices.

Yes i'm ok with pagnabros, some subclass are lacking "fun" and are bit boring (tatoo warrior). Some subclass are totally useless (say hello to "sapper"), some abilities seems completely overpowered (acrobatic fighter for thug, the lasting of squad order for officer, cheap shot!!!, natural alchemy for self taught...).

So yeah, i will add a lot of small homebrew rules, here and there, mostly minor change to boost or reduce some capabilities... but franckly, it's a very good surprise and the technical part of the game seems to be solid and ready to play.

So thanks for all Jacob (for the creation, for the time answering us...). I will create with my group all of our character next tuesday! (and we will start the last campaign...i will have to change some details to work with 5E).

Barbarianbob

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 04:15

I agree. Very happy with what I've looked through so far. Some of the prior concerns (like the attacks per round for the warrior classes) have been addressed. Looks great. Looking forward to digging into it further.

pagnabros

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 12:18

I agree. Very happy with what I've looked through so far. Some of the prior concerns (like the attacks per round for the warrior classes) have been addressed. Looks great. Looking forward to digging into it further.
I'm honestly starting to think I don't have the Final pdf version. I'm looking right now at the Alpha version and what is supposed to be the Final version and this is what I have for Extra Attack:

Alpha Extra Attack: Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. The number of attacks increases to three when you reach 11th level in this class and to four when you reach 18th level in this class.

Final Extra Attack: Extra Attack Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. The number of attacks increases to three when you reach 11th level in this class and to four when you reach 18th level in this class.

In both my version they are identical, so I think maybe I didn't receive the "true" Final pdf. What was the prior concern did you meant about the attacks per rounds for warriors that got fixed?

Jacob Rodgers

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 14:29

Which class are you looking at? That's accurate for the Warrior class, the Hunter and Captain classes were revised.

Barbarianbob

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 18:25

I recall looking at the captain myself.

Related question... remind me what was the target date for the hardcover release?

Mattias_JH

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 18:50

Related question... remind me what was the target date for the hardcover release?
The aim is to send prints to backers in late February, but with the current global shipping circus we have to be very lucky to hit that mark. So March, more likely.

General release, in stores and such, will be April at the earliest. It is important for us that you backers are first to receive your books.

Barbarianbob

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 21:09

Thanks for the quick reply Matthias. Appreciate the quick reply.

Is the site still open for late backers?

Bragison

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 22:23

I noticed a problem with the Player's Guide: language is not mentioned anywhere on the Human race section. All of the other races have a Languages stat, but humans don't.

Jacob Rodgers

Tue 07 Dec 2021, 15:15

Yeah, the humans are divided into Ambrians and Barbarians on the next page, each of which have their own language. Sorry for the confusion.