Ugglefar
Topic Author

Some feedback on RoS v.2.0.2.

Tue 13 Jul 2021, 22:25

Hi,

Firstly, my apologies if this has already been brought up previously.

• Page 32: Feature: Privileged is misspelled.
  • Page 37: Favored spells. I have mixed feelings about letting a player use a favored cantrip with no risk of corruption. It might be a bad idea, but I was thinking perhaps you could let a player use a favored cantrip with no corruption a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus per short rest.

Ugglefar
Topic Author

Re: Some feedback on RoS v.2.0.2.

Thu 15 Jul 2021, 15:44

• Page 41: The background art makes some words and letters quite blurry.

Jacob Rodgers

Sat 17 Jul 2021, 20:54

Thanks for the feedback!

Just a note on the cantrips — the 5e spellcasting and combat systems pretty much expect that magic-users can cast unlimited cantrips, giving a magic-user a way to contribute to a fight even once they can't cast any more levelled spells. We wanted to keep a bit of that (while still making it clear that magic, especially unstructured or unfamiliar magic, causes Corruption). So, as a magic-user becomes more experienced, they are able to manage the Corruption from cantrips better and better, eventually reaching a neutral point (whatever Corruption gained is effectively immediately dissipated). This allows us to keep a lot of 5e expectations that factor into the combat system and challenge ratings while still fitting the theme of Symbaroum.

Ugglefar
Topic Author

Sat 17 Jul 2021, 23:37

Just a note on the cantrips — the 5e spellcasting and combat systems pretty much expect that magic-users can cast unlimited cantrips, giving a magic-user a way to contribute to a fight even once they can't cast any more levelled spells. We wanted to keep a bit of that (while still making it clear that magic, especially unstructured or unfamiliar magic, causes Corruption). So, as a magic-user becomes more experienced, they are able to manage the Corruption from cantrips better and better, eventually reaching a neutral point (whatever Corruption gained is effectively immediately dissipated). This allows us to keep a lot of 5e expectations that factor into the combat system and challenge ratings while still fitting the theme of Symbaroum.
I guessed it was kept like this for balance issues. It's more a personal pet peeve of mine with D&D 5e that you will never reach the desperation as a caster that you are "out" of magic, and need to use that dagger/quarterstaff/whatever. I do really like how your implementation of the corruption system looks so far with the risk vs reward of pushing your luck with spells when you have already cast a few spells.

TheManLizard

Mon 16 Aug 2021, 00:10

Hello! I don't know where else to post typos besides this thread without making a new one. I was reading through the 2.0.2 to familiarize myself with the new addition awaiting the release. This is a very small grammar mistake, sorry if you find it too tedious or already found it, I just don't like seeing mistakes in publications.
On page 18 in the section about shadows, it states, "...between creativity and discipline — and what happens when (humanity mainly) cultivates nature...". Because statements in parentheses are read as asides to the actual script, the statement reads as "...between creativity and discipline — and what happens when cultivates nature...". Cultivates needs a noun to be applied to, I suggest: "people," "the people of Symbaroum," "beings," or "mortals." Doing so would necessitate that "cultivates" would lose the s as well.
So the updated sentence would read as: "...between creativity and discipline — and what happens when the people of Symbaroum (humanity mainly) cultivate nature..."

Again, sorry if this is unnecessary! Can't wait for the release, y'all rock!
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-08-15 173646.png
error in question
Screenshot 2021-08-15 173646.png (203.65 KiB) Viewed 913 times