Jacob Rodgers
Topic Author

Re: Designers' Journal

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 15:06

* I consider revivify a special case, and not as corrupting as other resurrection magic, as the soul and body are still intertwined. Basically think of it as a magical AED device. :) But once you get out of that grace period, dead is dead (unless you want to really really do some bad stuff).

Ah! Would I be right in thinking that raise dead, resurrection etc. wouldn't be on the higher level theurg spell list but instead be made into very very illegal ceremonial magic?
That would be a good assumption, yes. ;)

jdddd

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 16:34

Very exciting! I can’t wait to see how you’ve done ceremonial magic in 5e.

iJiminy

Sat 08 May 2021, 22:49

New to the party and just wanted to say that this thread has been an interesting read.

Now that the Kickstarter is finished can we expect more snippets of info/progress updates as we move closer towards the alpha and finished product?

Super excited to see more :-)

pagnabros

Thu 17 Jun 2021, 10:30

Hi Jacob, hope everything is right and the project is proceeding smoothly. Any new sweet designer update you could share with us?

Barbarianbob

Sat 19 Jun 2021, 07:36

Yes please... any updates, news or peeks?

Jacob Rodgers
Topic Author

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 14:19

Hey Everyone! Sorry for the late response, we've been nose-to-the-grindstone for a little while trying to get the rules in shape and I kept forgetting to visit here. But since y'all have been patient, how about a monster for you?

Abominations are a new monster type for 5e, covering things like the Blight-born (creatures or cultural beings that have been overwhelmed by Corruption). There's a template for the Blight-born in the bestiary (so you can apply it to almost any monster) but there are also some premade abominations as well. Here's one:

<statblock>
Blight-born Elk
Large abomination

Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 94 (9D10 + 45)
Speed 50 ft.

STR . . . . . . . DEX . . . . . . . CON . . . . . . . INT . . . . . . . WIS . . . . . . . CHA
25 (+7) . . . . . 12 (+1) . . . . . 21 (+5) . . . . . .2 (-4) . . . . . . 13 (+1) . . . . . 7 (-2)

Skills Perception +4, Survival +4
Damage Resistances bludgeoning from nonmagical weapons
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP, proficiency bonus +3)

Manner wheezing and snorting
Shadow brownish black, like the hide of a decaying animal corpse (thoroughly corrupt)
Equipment

Charge. If the elk moves at least 20 ft. straight toward a target and then hits it with its Many-pointed Black Antlers on the same turn, the target takes an extra 14 (4D6) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 17 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Congealed Blood. The blight-born elk is resistant to bludgeoning damage.

Actions
Multiattack. The blight-born elk makes an attack with its Black Antlers and its Clawing Hooves

Many-pointed Black Antlers. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (4D6 + 7) piercing damage and 2 (1D4) temporary Corruption.

Clawing Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2D6 + 7) slashing damage and 1 temporary Corruption.

Reactions
Broad Antlers. The wild tangle of the blight-born elk’s antlers provides natural cover against ranged weapons. When attacked, it twists unnaturally, placing the thorny antlers in the path of the missile. Add +3 to the elk’s AC.
</statblock>

So what do you think?

jdddd

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 15:18

Very nice, I love it. I really like that its attacks incurs Corruption on a hit. Seems like a quite challenging monster, but that's thematically in-line with Symbaroum :)

Molotov681

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 15:30

It's great; well thought out, thematic, detailed, and very flavorful for a 'generic' beast. Makes me excited for things you don't consider 'generic'!

Barbarianbob

Fri 02 Jul 2021, 19:20

Very nice preview. Agreed that iit's very thematic and flavorful. I like the little touch that it's resistant to bludgeoning, but not piercing.

The corrupton on a hit is completely cool. Im looking forward to corruption bringing a whole new level of danger to 5e.

Barbarianbob

Sun 29 Aug 2021, 18:44

Greetings All!

Just checking in. Really stoked to see some more previews if you have any more bones you could throw us. Any chance we could get a "monthly" preview? A topic, location, race, class, monster, mechanic... something? I think we'd all love something like this.

Chomping at the bit here... really excited so thanks again for making this a reality.

Blessings, well wishes and cheers! : :D