samirvsmachine
Topic Author

Can we replace Action Surge?

Fri 28 May 2021, 17:12

I,'ve been testing with one of my players that plays a warrior from The Promised Land. We replaced Action Surge with a flat bonus equal to the proficiency bonus at each warrior level and a critical threat increase. We named it Weapon Training. The damage output is about the same (or better) compared to Action Surge in a combat that lasts 5 rounds of more.
Aside playing the story, my player enjoyed the change and he had fun with his extra critical scores.

Pros:
# You can use it every turn and don't need to hold you super power because you have only one use.
# You don't need to rely on Short Rest to recharge.
# Fighters are experts with weapon fighting, so it fits well.
# Players like more damage.*
# Players like when they score a critical.*

Cons:
# If you have a generous Gamemaster that gives the group enough Short Rests, Action Surge have a good fun factor for one turn (two at 17th following the fighter progression).
# Players like bursts in damage*

* This an assumption but I think is general enough.

Weapon Training. At 1st level, you can select two group of weapons, as noted below. Whenever you attack with a weapon from these group, you gain a bonus to damage rolls as shown in the Fighter table.
Additionally, at 2rd level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.
At 17th level, your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 18-20.*

* following the fighter progression.

Axes. battleaxe, greataxe, handaxe, and war pick.

Blades, Heavy. greatsword, longsword, and scimitar.

Blades, Light. dagger, rapier, short sword, and sickle.

Bows. longbow, and shortbow.

Crossbows. hand, heavy, and light crossbows.

Firearms. all firearms.

Flails. flail, morningstar, and whip.

Hammers. club, greatclub, light hammer, mace, maul, and warhammer.

Polearms. glaive, halberd, pike, and quarterstaff.

Spears. javelin, lance, spear, and trident.

Thrown. blowgun, dagger, dart, net, sling.

Siege Engines. all siege engines.

n4tune8

Re: Can we replace Action Surge?

Fri 28 May 2021, 22:57

You can certainly do that, but it is not the 5e way to give reliable flat bonuses that can be used every turn, with the exception of proficiency bonus. Of course your player will like a more reliable feature that he doesn't have to hold back for the right moment. It's a little bit of power creep, which is fine for your table, but probably not for an official book.

samirvsmachine
Topic Author

Sat 29 May 2021, 08:09

You can certainly do that, but it is not the 5e way to give reliable flat bonuses that can be used every turn, with the exception of proficiency bonus. Of course your player will like a more reliable feature that he doesn't have to hold back for the right moment. It's a little bit of power creep, which is fine for your table, but probably not for an official book.
I can agree might not be the best approach, or the bonus given might not be the right amount, but there is examples of flat bonuses (i.e barbarian rage) in 5e.

It's not my intention to say that this is the best way to do it. I'm just sharing an experiment and start a discussion.

Symbaroum classes even if similar concepts are different than standard 5e classes. For example mystics have unlimited spell casting with the chance of corruption.

I appreciate the input though.

n4tune8

Sat 29 May 2021, 10:44

I agree that is a cool ability, and I would use it in a homebrew. But what you are doing is giving Hexblade's Curse (XGtE p.55) to all warriors, and this ability is responsible for power creep within 5e because other melee classes will take a 1 level "dip" of Warlock (Hexblade) in their build just to get this ability.
Also note that barbarian rage (and therefore its flat damage bonus) has a limited number of uses per day. When adding damage to all attacks (e.g. Improved Divine Smite), 5e usually adds a die roll... with the exception of Hexblade's Curse and Beastmaster's Companion (although we can all agree that second one is not OP).

Ugglefar

Fri 02 Jul 2021, 02:13

A common criticism about the martial classes in 5e is that they do not have enough abilities to activate. By removing Action Surge and just add a flat bonus you will give the Warrior class even less abilities.

samirvsmachine
Topic Author

Sat 04 Sep 2021, 09:29

A common criticism about the martial classes in 5e is that they do not have enough abilities to activate. By removing Action Surge and just add a flat bonus you will give the Warrior class even less abilities.
I agree with you in the current scenario where we compare martial classes to spellcasters, and there is also the fact that maneuvers are not baseline to all martial classes.
In previous editions fighters had better damage with a weapon at hands, and made use of maneuvers. Action surge might give an warrior more attacks or other actions once (until higher level) in a encounter, but you can waste it as well, and you are left with nothing much special to do.
A paladin with the same weapon, fighting style, Strength or Dexterity, and same combat related feats will deal more damage than a fighter, and the paladin might be able to use more than one smite in an encounter.
Also agree, a flat bonus might not be the answer but I wish there were more interesting features for a warrior:
* maybe fighting styles that give new features or unique maneuvers: two weapon rend for two-weapon fighting, etc
* having baseline free for all maneuvers, and improved versions of the same maneuvers for warriors: shield block reaction increase AC by +1, and by +2 for a warrior, etc
* unique maneuvers for martial classes: scoundrel converting sneak attack dice to bleeding damage or armor damage, etc, warrior cleaving with heavy weapons, etc.

Just some ideas.