Dunheved

Re: Thoughts on how Free League will get us into Moria

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 10:20

So canon says Thror, Gandalf and Aragorn entered Moria. Except for Aragorn, we also know WHY they did this.

Somehow Gollum got in as well, he was there just before the Fellowship arrived.
BUT Had Gollum ever entered Moria before?
Curious old Smeagol? Nosy old Smeagol? YOU BET. (I would further bet, that he went in and came out by the Dimrill Gate entrance on the east: EXCEPT finding a different way in/out would be more interesting, and would be much more flavourful for a source book. )

So why does a Ranger enter Moria?
Not for gold. Not for Revenge. (Though these were good enough purposes for Thorin and Co.)
It is fair to assume that Aragorn, just like Gandalf, was looking for someone.
A quick answer would be his Hunt for Gollum. But a more intriguing pursuit might connect with others who have entered Moria and then Aragorn's excursion can be placed at any time in his past.

The absolute Dread of Moria should displace anyone from settling a new colony there. I don't like that as a motivation, it makes no Tolkien sense (unless you are Balin).
So it's (a) Cash/ Treasure/ Mithril. (b) Revenge/Pursuit (c) Rescue / Tracking (d) Curiosity (e) Accidentally took the wrong turn...
And which of these might make a Campaign to fit a source book?

Randombias

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 21:00

Here's the thing: we all know that, canonically, there are no other known forays into Moria in that time period. Not that nobody went into Moria, but that Gandalf, Elrond, the Dwarves, etc. never heard about it. Which means that if anybody does go into Moria, it would break canon if any word of their adventures got out. So clearly the only viable story arc for this adventure...to protect the integrity of the setting...is going to have to be TPK.
Another possibility would be that the players' journey into the depths of Moria is so embarrassing that nobody talks about it.

The Dwarves dug too greedily and too deep. -- "Sure," Galdalf winks, "it was the dwarves. No hobbit would be stupid enough to wake up the Balrog on a dare."

ottarrus

Tue 01 Feb 2022, 23:50

What I'd REALLY like to see is Khazad-dum in all it's glory as a city, in addition to the grim, dark deathtrap it becomes in TA 1980.

As for canon ways to 'get into Moria', about the only way you're going to get into Moria before the Fellowship opens the West Door is via Durin's Gate in the East. Probably with Lord Balin's party, or else with some significant 'ninja-skilz'...

Quileurbist

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 01:40

As was said in The Adventurer's Companion (p.133):
The Dwarves will not permit the company to engage in the taking of Moria (indeed, that is a tale for another supplement…), as they view this as a duty that falls to them alone.
But we do not know if FL will have the same approach and authors...

Inculta

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 07:23

Hopefully the book doesn't just stay on Moria but expands on the surrounding areas too. Details on the Orcs of the Misty Mountains and Gundabad would be nice to have too, and the wildlife and monsters you could run into around the region.

Byrax

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 10:53

What I'd REALLY like to see is Khazad-dum in all it's glory as a city, in addition to the grim, dark deathtrap it becomes in TA 1980.
Amazon’s Rings of Power will apparently show how it looked during earlier times.

From the Vanity Fair article:
“We will finally see the full glory of Khazad-dûm—the cavernous necropolis carved into the Misty Mountains, where, in Jackson’s The Fellowship of the Ring, Gandalf famously bellowed at the Balrog, “You shall not pass!” The show will explore that kingdom when it was still full of light, food, and music.”

Dunheved

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 12:43

HMM.
If the Vanity Fair article is reliable, then Amazon are expanding on the necropolis of Peter Jackson's vision?
That's OK for some I am sure, but I think I will back Free League's way of illuminating the Long Dark.

Tbf the portrayal of the size of some of the halls of Khazad dum in the first film was really good. And it was a pleasant piece of restraint by the film crew that Gandalf merely risked a little light, and the place was kept in shadows.

ottarrus

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 14:57

HMM.
If the Vanity Fair article is reliable, then Amazon are expanding on the necropolis of Peter Jackson's vision?
That's OK for some I am sure, but I think I will back Free League's way of illuminating the Long Dark.

Tbf the portrayal of the size of some of the halls of Khazad dum in the first film was really good. And it was a pleasant piece of restraint by the film crew that Gandalf merely risked a little light, and the place was kept in shadows.
I have a few issues with Jackson's LotR. I differ from his interpretation of the Professor's writings in several different ways. But his take on Moria was spot-freaking-on. I'm a historian and I'm used to grousing out media productions that bugger up the history just so it will fit into a 2-hour movie or 43-minute episode. But I had absolutely no complaints about Moria, and very few about Fellowship.
But don't get me started on the two Hobbit movies... :lol:

gyrovague

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 18:09

But don't get me started on the two Hobbit movies... :lol:
Which one of the three met with your approval?

Dunheved

Sun 13 Feb 2022, 18:33

(Ottarus probably never finished all three Hobbit films)

But instead of film bashing, I would reiterate that however Sophicated Games does it, it will be splendid (Am I right to say that it might be Gareth R-H?).

But will MORIA be a Landmark style or a DoM campaign style? - Guessing the former, but hoping for something like the latter. Unless its a campaign of landmarks?