baldrick0712
Topic Author

Physical Goods Very Nice

Sat 15 Jan 2022, 19:19

I received my pledge today and despite the much discussed feat die mistake I have to say the quality of all of the physical goods is top notch. I pledged for both the collectors edition core rulebook and the standard core rulebook and even the standard core rulebook is a thing of beauty, with a lovely textured finish to its covers. Well done FL!

Dunheved

Re: Physical Goods Very Nice

Sun 16 Jan 2022, 12:36

Definitely agree here.
The feel of the paper in the CE alone is so much like the quality of the paper in my hardback copies of the LOTR that it is a pleasure to turn the pages. The rules book feels like it's in the same collection as the novels.
Working through the Starter Set booklets, it's the same standards and the same feel. Great.

The cloth maps are really lovely. Too good to use normally. It's going to be like the best cutlery and china - only coming out on special occasions! (Which was always the plan for the CE.)

Good to read that the standard edition rule book is the same: I have that coming as a separate order.

Thanks Free League indeed.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Mon 17 Jan 2022, 13:25

My only complaint would be that the font size in 2e seems significantly smaller than it was in 1e. I can read it OK but it might be a bit small if someone has impaired vision.

rennarda

Mon 17 Jan 2022, 18:55

I was surprised that the starter set box is printed on the inside - a map on the bottom, and some rules reference tables in the top. Never seen that before. Not sure how useful it will be, but might as well make use of every square inch!

And yes, the overall quality is just what I was expecting from Free League - top quality.

steviewevie

Mon 17 Jan 2022, 19:43

I was surprised that the starter set box is printed on the inside - a map on the bottom, and some rules reference tables in the top. Never seen that before. Not sure how useful it will be, but might as well make use of every square inch!
I think that the idea (mentioned somewhere by FL) was to make it useable as a makeshift GM acreen.

jamesrbrown

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 01:43

I am in Arizona and have not received mine yet. If you have received it and you’re in the US, how was it delivered? Was it US Postal Service, UPS, or FedEx?

Cleggster

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 04:34

I am in New England, and mine came today by UPS. I put off opening it right away since my weekly One Ring game was tonight. That way I could do an "unboxing" video live for my players. heh

I conceded on the quality of the products. The collector's edition book is outstanding. Great paper stock and even the map is on great quality paper. I couldn't afford the cloth maps, but I imagine they look great as well.

ilgiallomondadori

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 11:34

Agreed, quality is stunning. I love it all. Feels like Lord of the Rings.

eternalsage

Thu 20 Jan 2022, 04:44

Starting to feel impatient as I have not gotten a shipping notice yet... I feel like mine would have been a large shipment and should have been early but I know I'm just being impatient lol. I just want to get my hands on all the stuff!
“It is useless to meet revenge with revenge; it will heal nothing.” - Frodo Baggins, Return of the King

steviewevie

Thu 20 Jan 2022, 10:42

I love the quality of it all - except the dice. I'm not talking about the error, I'm talking about their design and physical quality. They look and feel really cheap to me. The design of the border of each face isn't very attractive, and they don't look as good as the renders shown in the KS. I don't think that their glossiness helps at all in this. The white on the regular dice looks kind of sickly, and IMHO should have been more off-white as in the renders.

The quality of the core rulebook is amazing. Shame that the dice are a let-down and I feel like I wasted my money on them, but that's not the end of the world of course.