Pangea
Topic Author

Skill Imbalance

Thu 30 Dec 2021, 07:25

re. Cris W & your question in Official Errata and FAQ Thread (since I imagine that was not the best thread for that)
Welcome to The One Ring!
I hope you enjoy the game...
This is not an official answer at all, just me take on your question (and I am hopefully not too wrong):
There is an imbalance between the different cultures in terms of the Skill points they have to spend
• the skill points from the SKILLS tables (like p.40 for Men of Bree) are not to 'spend'. Those are the numbers you have in each skill (from 0 to 3). That is your character's starting Skill rank (then you spend Previous Experience to raise some of the ranks) ;
• the "imbalance" is only with the total number of Skill ranks you have (yes, 21 for Bree-Men, 18 for Bree-Hobbits). But if you consider how much experience it costs to raise Skill levels, you see that three Skills at 1 are not the same as one Skill at 3 (p.119 Experience Cost table - to raise three Skills from 0 to 1 costs three times 4xp ; to raise one Skill from 0 to 3 costs 4+8+12). Check out the math' for each Culture as if all were born with 0 points in all Skills, and then earned xp as they grew up, spending it each differently-- and you should see that all Cultures have the same number of xp spent, but different ratings (Men of Bree have more rank 1 Skills vs. Hobbits of Bree having two rank 3 Skills for example) ;
• 'Hobbit Sense' of Shire Hobbits is thus not considered sufficiently better than 'Bree Blood', just different (yes, there is a 3 point difference, but no xp point difference). Shire Hobbits are very good at Stealth and Riddles, whereas Bree Hobbits are more Courteous and more 'Jack of all trades'...
Have fun in game, and Happy New Year!
Playing in France, and online