Niallism

Re: Query re: Skill Point Imbalance between different Cultures

Thu 30 Dec 2021, 07:12

Hi there,
I'm new here so I hope the following is the right way to approach a query.
I've been looking at the cultures in the core rules and Rivendell supplement.
There is an imbalance between the different cultures in terms of the Skill points they have to spend, and I wondered what the logic was behind this? It's not huge, but it is still noticable, as the skill point difference between cultures varies from 18 total to 21 total. Is it all about how you have valued the relative Cultural Blessings of the different Cultures, or do you weight some skills more highly than others... or is there no balance intended?
It is most stark when looking at the Bree Hobbits (core rules p181) as they compare directly to the Men of Bree and Shire Hobbits. As they take the skill point total from Men of Bree (21) they get three more points than their cousins from the Shire (who have 18). Is it that 'Hobbit Sense' of Shire Hobbits is considered sufficiently better than 'Bree Blood' to be worth the 3 point difference? As I've not played the game in a campaign yet I cannot compare the two based on experience - hence my question about your own rationale and experience.
Thank you kindly for your excellent product!
Kind regards
Cris
I think they're all built to the same number of skill point costs, as if buying with skill points or 'previous experience'. 1 3-rank skill costs 6 points, but 3 1-rank skills cost 3 points.

Cris W

Re: Official Errata and FAQ Thread

Thu 30 Dec 2021, 09:56

Aah of course - I will go and look at that - I imagine you're right as that is an obvious answer now you say it! Thank you kindly.

Cris W

Re: Query re: Skill Point Imbalance between different Cultures

Thu 30 Dec 2021, 12:02

I think they're all built to the same number of skill point costs, as if buying with skill points or 'previous experience'. 1 3-rank skill costs 6 points, but 3 1-rank skills cost 3 points.
Awesome - you are of course spot on. They are all built on 116 experience points. That's great - it'll help me homebrew some Cultures for my own table. Thank you!

Harlath

Thu 06 Jan 2022, 13:54

p52 & p216 - Cirdan's patron additional advantage: "The Shipwright's Foresight": does this include rerolling the loremaster's rolls for adversaries, or journey event rolls etc? I think so, as it says "any one roll" but thought it was worth double checking.

Thanks!

Harlath

Thu 06 Jan 2022, 20:22

Great leap: p150 and p156 - is the attack from this an extra attack (beyond the adversary's normal might limit) or does it simply let you choose your target (stacking attacks against particular companions despite engagement limits plus targeting those in rearward)?

- Consensus on discord is that this doesn't grant an extra attack, but I thought it might be worth checking. But might not be one for the formal FAQ, depending on length?

DylanRPG

Fri 07 Jan 2022, 01:36

On page 234, on Table 4. A Rumour About the Thing, under #4, it should read "Ohtar", not "Othar". Isildur's squire's name was Ohtar ("warrior").

Falenthal

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 00:09

Pages 154 and 157: Replace the Strike Fear ability with the following: “Thing of Terror. At the start of the first round of the battle all Player-heroes in sight gain 3 Shadow points (Dread). Those who fail their Shadow test are daunted and cannot spend Hope for the rest of the fight.”

Now, the effect of Thing of Terror is the same as that of Strike Fear ("Those who fail their Shadow test are daunted and cannot spend Hope for the rest of the fight"), the difference lies only in the way to trigger the Fell Ability (automatically at the start of the first round vs Spending 1 point of Hate).

Right now, the former consequence of Thing of Terror "If Miserable, they become Ill-favoured on all attack rolls." has disappeared.

Is that intentional?
It seems like a good decision to make things easier for the LM, but just wanted to be sure there hasn't been a confusion.

timgray101

Fri 14 Jan 2022, 19:15

Not an error as such, but I noticed the section on combat Complications and Advantages (p101-2) could use a bit of expansion to be clearer and give a couple of examples - especially as it's one of just two explicit uses of the Battle skill, and it's a little abstract.

Probably impossible for the core book, but maybe in a blog or future player/GM aid.

Eg is it just for yourself; can you only establish a 1d advantage; can you manoeuvre enemies or just yourself; etc.

DylanRPG

Sat 15 Jan 2022, 17:59

On page 233 on Table 2, "Fish-like" appears twice. I'm guessing one of them is supposed to read "man-like", since some of the options seem to line up with Balrogs.

"Flame of Udun, man-like, yet greater" would be possible.

Dunheved

Sat 15 Jan 2022, 20:09

Reading The Shire supplement: a small point, but...
Page 35 has Deephollow located at the southernmost tip of the Southfarthing. (First 3 lines of Deephollow description.)
1. It is in the Eastfarthing section of the Shire
2. It is not the southernmost of either South or East Farthing. But It is the most eastern part of the East Farthing, and next to the easternmost part of the Southfarthing.
3. Lines 3 to 5 say that Deephollow is at the end of the road from the bridge, yet the road can continue to Willowbottom as well.

Page 51 describes Tom Bombadil's house as if it is a "warm cabin of wood". Except of course it has stone walls, covered with hanging mats and yellow curtains, and stone flagged floors; and it has stairs which Tom and Goldberry 'clatter' up and down.