fahrgast
Topic Author

Problems with "Protect companion" task

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 13:55

After playing a few more games, my players are trying to use combat tasks more often, and we are finding some situations that seem to lack some playtesting (I confess that I'm having this feeling in many parts of the rulebook).

Specifically, about the "Protect companion" task:

1) A player-hero assumes a Defensive stance and rolls BATTLE successfully to protect a companion. "The next attack" aimed at this companion loses 1d (or more). What happens if this companion is not attacked in the current round? I think the rules should say "The next attack, if any, in this round". BTW, something similar could be said about Intimidate Foe and Prepare Shot tasks, where the rules refer to "next attack".

2) A group of 4 player heroes is fighting a troll. One of the heroes, Alice, assumes a Defensive stance and uses Protect Companion successfully to protect her fellow hero, Bob. The Loremaster then decides that the troll attacks other heroes, but it doesn't attack Bob. It seems that Alice has lost her round, since her combat task wouldn't have any effect. I don't know if this is meant to be so, but definitely I don't want it to be so. What do you think? Should Alice be able to choose a companion to protect after the troll chooses a target?

In 1e, Alice could also protect a companion that then was not attacked in the same round, losing the effect of the task. But in 1e, a hero could protect a companion and still attack in their round, so there was no risk of losing the whole round.

Sebastian

Re: Problems with "Protect companion" task

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 14:36

As the LM I would simply make sure, that the Hero, who is being protected, is attacked. I mean, there are a lot of this theoretical situations. A Bowman prepares a shot, but then his mark is killed before he shots. I simply would roleplay it in a way, that every Player Hero has something cool to add to the scene/battle.

fahrgast
Topic Author

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 14:52

Sebastian, in general I agree with you but:
  • With this solution, the defending hero would make sure, in a certain way, that the defended one is attacked, which is precisely what they are trying to prevent. Moreover, if the players know that the LM uses to do this, they could abuse and try to defend a hero with a high Parry rating or in a defensive stance, instead of an unprotected one.
  • I agree that a similar situation could come up with Prepare Shot, but the hero (as per the rules) doesn't need to declare a target when preparing the shot. So if the combat is not over the next round, they would not lose the benefit.

Sebastian

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 15:50

With this solution, the defending hero would make sure, in a certain way, that the defended one is attacked, which is precisely what they are trying to prevent. Moreover, if the players know that the LM uses to do this, they could abuse and try to defend a hero with a high Parry rating or in a defensive stance, instead of an unprotected one.
That does sound a bit weird to me, to be honest. In a battle, a Hero goes into defensive stance and takes the Protect Companion task, exactly because he suspects that this companion is going to be attacked. A fight isn't such a slow action, that you can make such tactical decisions like on a drawing board. He sees the blow coming and goes to protect the companion. Now, if in the meantime this adversary is killed by an arrow, I might grant the player the chance to changes his action. But in my opinion that's nothing, that needs to be adressed in the rules. Such things I - the GM - decide.
[*] I agree that a similar situation could come up with Prepare Shot, but the hero (as per the rules) doesn't need to declare a target when preparing the shot. So if the combat is not over the next round, they would not lose the benefit.
Sure, that would work for me too.

Niallism

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 18:22

I never even thought of this issue. If an enemy is engaged with multiple PCs, I always give some information on what it is going to do at the start of the round, so PCs know who might need defending.

fahrgast
Topic Author

Tue 23 Nov 2021, 16:25

Niallism, that's pretty much the same than letting the defending player chose a target after the LM says who is being attacked (during the round), and that's what I did. However, I still think that this is something that shold be covered by the rules, specially for inexperienced loremasters.

mrdabakkle

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 22:35

Take this example, Saeros the Elf goes into defensive to protect Gloria Hornblower his fellowship focus. The troll has been picking on her because he wants tasty hobbit toes for breakfast. On the Troll's turn with one attack he attacks Saeros (he got in between him and his meal. He even spends a point of hate to add a die to the roll) with the second attack the troll attacks Farin the Dwarf. Saeros didn't waste his action, he succedded at preventing Gloria from being attacked.
The One Ring and Adventure's in Middle-earth Discord Server: https://discord.me/theonering
The One Ring Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/oneringrpg/

fahrgast
Topic Author

Tue 30 Nov 2021, 11:43

That's an interesting point of view, mrdabakkle. I guess it depends on the kind of player that they feel whether or not they have achieved something this round.

mrdabakkle

Tue 30 Nov 2021, 15:32

Also since the way engagement is considered by RAW a monster is engaged with a player until they are dead or the player escapes combat. So if a player protects their companion and the companion is facing 2 monsters both of those monsters will attack the protected companion. There isn't really movement to engage or disengage with different monsters until they try to escape combat.
The One Ring and Adventure's in Middle-earth Discord Server: https://discord.me/theonering
The One Ring Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/oneringrpg/

Fosco

Tue 30 Nov 2021, 18:56

I am just starting to make my way through the rules, so forgive me if I've missed something important. But to me, "next attack" is just that. Whether it's this round or two rounds from now, it is the "next attack" on the protected player. If they wanted the rule to say "next attack this round" they could have very easily done that. This would seem, though, to take this PC out of the fight, so to speak, as they are waiting around protect their mate.

I don't think I've helped at all. :roll: