Harlath

Re: First session, got questions

Sun 14 Nov 2021, 16:49

The Wound Severity table can indeed lead to this kind of event in 2e and wasn't in 1e.

Makes a good case for having a Ranger with Foresight of their Kindred or Cirdan as a Patron to reroll things!

Alternatively, the Elven Cultural Blessings or the Dwarven Cultural Virtue Broken spells can be used to guarantee a magical success on a healing roll. Or finding a Magical artifact with a Healing blessing.

As any PC can be can hit 1/12 times with the Eye of Sauron and piercing blows are now a bit more common (10 or Eye, rather than frequently just Eye in 1e) armour is a good investment. Particularly as you can abandon your helm if it is making you weary. Plus armour has slightly lower load in 2e than 1e.

I think you ruled this pretty well - spending Hope on saving a dying PC is a natural thing to do when you're familiar with a game, so I think you were right to allow it retroactively with new players.

gyrovague

Mon 15 Nov 2021, 04:01

I let the Scholar use a point of Hope on Healing retroactively, so he would succeed.
Seems like a perfectly thematic use of Hope.
Yes, but the player forgot, and one has to use Hope before rolling, right?
That's what the rules say, but they are obviously incorrect.

Fenhorn

Mon 15 Nov 2021, 13:32

Seems like a perfectly thematic use of Hope.
Yes, but the player forgot, and one has to use Hope before rolling, right?
That's what the rules say, but they are obviously incorrect.
Moderator Message: I don't know what the rules say since I don't have the rules and and I don't know who they are and why they are obviously incorrect. This wasn't part of the questions in OP so please if anyone wants to have a specific debate how the hope rule works, start a new thread about that or better, find an existing one, because I think there are one or more of those already, and discussed that there.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Rafamir

Mon 15 Nov 2021, 18:22

I think you ruled this pretty well - spending Hope on saving a dying PC is a natural thing to do when you're familiar with a game, so I think you were right to allow it retroactively with new players.
Agreed. I have taken to reminding my players at the start of each session about how much Hope and Shadow they each have and, when I do think of it, reminding them before a crucial roll that they should consider using Hope. We’re all on a learning curve here. One of my players is pretty hard core and wouldn’t use Hope retroactively to avoid a Wound despite the rest of the party urging him to. (He missed his Protection roll by 1!)

Harlath

Mon 15 Nov 2021, 23:51

Agreed. I have taken to reminding my players at the start of each session about how much Hope and Shadow they each have and, when I do think of it, reminding them before a crucial roll that they should consider using Hope. We’re all on a learning curve here. One of my players is pretty hard core and wouldn’t use Hope retroactively to avoid a Wound despite the rest of the party urging him to. (He missed his Protection roll by 1!)
If you've got them available, physical tokens like glass beads can help players remember they've got resources to spend. Although I'm with you on thinking it's worth reminding people while they're learning. :)

On the other hand, bravo to your player who didn't take the retroactive option - some people learn best from mistakes!