Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Weapons of Renown in Eriador

Mon 08 Nov 2021, 18:50

Here are a few weapons I adapted from MERP to be found somewhere in Eriador. A collection of Elven and Númenórean weapons to form a treasure index, make of them what you will.

Armidhrist (S. Royal Eminent Cleaver): Short Sword – Númenórean make; Cleaving, Foe Slaying (Bane – Orcs, Evil Men), Fell, Glows red hot when it strikes metal.

Varyar (Q. Protector): Long Sword – Elven make; Superior Fell (Bane – Orcs), Rune Scored, Grievous.

Helvegil (S. Ice Sword): Long Sword – Elven make; Superior Keen (Bane – Wolves), Hammering, Fell.

Thagor (S. Splitter): Long Sword – Elven make; Foe Slayer (Bane – Orcs) Luminescence, Grievous.

Norfaer (S. Spiritfire): Sword – Númenórean make; Superior Grievous (Bane – Undead, Orcs), Foe Slayer, Superior Fell. Curse - Burns hot, will burn the wielder if treacherous or deceitful.

Dindagnir (S. Silent Killer): Sword – Elven make; Foe Slayer (Bane – Orcs), Fell, Grievous. The sheath of this blade is also enchanted to give the wielder a +1d bonus to stealth (fills a useful item slot).

Dirdagnir (S. Man-slayer): Dagger – Númenórean make; Foe Slaying (Bane – Evil Men, Orcs), Superior Fell, Superior Grievous.

Angrist (S. Iron-cleaver) Great Axe – Elven make; Cleaving, Hammering, Superior Fell (Bane – Orcs).

Cû Glandirith (S. Bow of the Guardians) Bow – Númenórean make, Superior Grievous (Bane – Trolls, Orcs), Straight Flight, Hollow Steel. The quiver is also enchanted to give the wielder a +1d bonus to stealth (fills a useful item slot).

Hurvegil (S. Heartsword): Long Sword – Elven make; Superior Fell (Bane – wolves) Superior Keen, Grievous. The blade of this sword is made from a rare metal that is as black as night.

Gaurdagnir (S. Werewolf Bane): Long Sword – Elven make; Superior Keen (Bane – wolves), Foe Slayer, Luminescence.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Re: Weapons of Renown in Eriador

Wed 24 Nov 2021, 19:10

Feel free to post your own ideas here. :)

edufernandes

Wed 24 Nov 2021, 22:54

Angrovan (S. Wild Beast of Iron, it's a reference to the weapon itself as also the iron it was made of, hard to tame, hard to work with): A dwarven greataxe; Hammering, Cleaving, Keen.

Dunheved

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 10:45

Thanks Aiden for a great bunch to start with. I never did MERP so these are interesting.

Curiosity makes me ask how to describe a TOR2e version of Glamdring, Sting or other named weapons from Tolkien's books. Mainly to compare homebrew weapons of renown with these. ( what did happen to Gilgalads spear, Aiglos ?)

(Admitting that for TOR2e, only Gandalf would have Glamdring, but Bilbo might sanction a loan of Sting for the Starter Set of Adventures. )

Harlath

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 11:57

Thanks Aiden for a great bunch to start with. I never did MERP so these are interesting.

Curiosity makes me ask how to describe a TOR2e version of Glamdring, Sting or other named weapons from Tolkien's books. Mainly to compare homebrew weapons of renown with these. ( what did happen to Gilgalads spear, Aiglos ?)

(Admitting that for TOR2e, only Gandalf would have Glamdring, but Bilbo might sanction a loan of Sting for the Starter Set of Adventures. )
1e had very similar mechanics and the Rivendell supplement provided an example Treasure index for the Hobbit, including details for Orcrist, Sting and Bilbo's Mithril Shirt. Luminescence and Superior Grievous on both, plus Superior Keen on Sting and Raging on Orcrist (a reward that isn't in 2e, but inflicts extra damage, even if you miss). Plus Bane: Orcs, naturally! Luminescence isn't mechanically very exciting admittedly, but a key theme/story element so I might be tempted to give a minor version for "free".

Recovering Aiglos/Aeglos would be a great multi-part adventure! Researching where it is via tomes and characters. Travelling to its location. Potentially repairing it, requiring more research, finding the right materials and perhaps recruiting the right crafter(s).

gyrovague

Thu 09 Dec 2021, 05:25

Luminescence isn't mechanically very exciting admittedly, but a key theme/story element so I might be tempted to give a minor version for "free".
It would have been cool to have two different types of qualities: combat bonuses and..."other"?

- Luminescence
- Can cut through iron (not steel, doesn't affect attacks, and maybe either can only be used 1/session, or maybe costs a point of Hope )
- Speech: in certain situations it will speak (fill in some details)

And of course you could make up stuff that isn't in the books:
- Some kind of direction finding when held
- Counts as a Marvelous Artefact or Wondrous Item (probably Awe; maybe others, such as Hunting for a spear or bow)
- Etc.

gyrovague

Thu 09 Dec 2021, 05:26

Luminescence isn't mechanically very exciting admittedly, but a key theme/story element so I might be tempted to give a minor version for "free".
It would have been cool to have two different types of qualities: combat bonuses and..."other"? If every famous weapon also gets one "other", you don't have to feel like it's a trade-off either way.

- Luminescence
- Can cut through iron (not steel, doesn't affect attacks, and maybe either can only be used 1/session, or maybe costs a point of Hope )
- Speech: in certain situations it will speak (fill in some details)

And of course you could make up stuff that isn't in the books:
- Some kind of direction finding when held
- Counts as a Marvelous Artefact or Wondrous Item (probably Awe; maybe others, such as Hunting for a spear or bow)
- Etc.