Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Rules Query about 2 handed bonus damage

Tue 26 Oct 2021, 17:59

I was just posting some extra weapon option and I noticed a rule I had not picked up yet.

HEAVY BLOW — ANY WEAPON: You have hit your opponent
with great force and precision — Spend 1 Success icon to
inflict to your adversary an additional loss of Endurance equal
to your STRENGTH rating. Raise the loss of Endurance by an
additional +1 if you are using a 2-handed weapon.

My question:

Does the +1 Endurance Loss include Bow and Great Bow as they are always used two handed (would be odd if they weren't)

Common sense says yes, rules as written... not sure (unless I missed something).
Last edited by Aiden Harrison on Fri 29 Oct 2021, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

Dunheved

Re: Rules Query

Tue 26 Oct 2021, 21:18

So an archer with a Great Bow rolls a hit with no T (tengwars), scoring base damage only Damage = 4
AND
The archer (strength 6 say) fires again and this time gets a T result: damage is 4 + (6+1) = 11

A spear chucker gets basic 3 (or 4) with the T result adding merely the Strength value +6 in my example.

The table (Core rules page 100) simply says that bows are ranged weapons, while other weapons are SPECIFIED as two handed or not. Yes, Bows would be the two handed ranged weapon, and spears (javelins) are one handed, that goes without saying.

However, I can't help feeling that this is an accidental bonus for bows if - as the rules are written - it seems like it should stand.

Interesting spot, AH.

P. S. I have to be cautious here as I feel that bows have been done down in TOR2e (and Axes inflated). So I suspect I am too sympathetic to be an unbiassed commentator!

Rafamir

Tue 26 Oct 2021, 22:20

I intend to run my games with the +1 available only to Close Combat weapons used 2-handed. I agree with the previous comment that this was an oversight, and that the Notes column of the Weapons table on page 100 favors this argument by not listing bows as "2-handed".

I interpret the addition of this +1 in the core rules as a way of 1) reflecting the physics of a 2-handed melee weapon and 2) offsetting the disadvantage of not using a shield.

Dunheved

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 07:57

Dour handed is a similar improvement: the extra force (?) available due to a dour hand applies to all attacks, doesn't it?

Rather than an oversight, it may actually be that since both limbs can be used to apply the force to a bow, then enough additional work can be delivered to the missile, compared to a single arm throwing a javelin. And in this case AH is completely right to suggest +1 bonus damage.

And it occurs to me that AH you might edit the title of this thread to be "Rules Query - 2 handed bonus damage" or something similar

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 00:21

And it occurs to me that AH you might edit the title of this thread to be "Rules Query - 2 handed bonus damage" or something similar
Done.

Inculta

Re: Rules Query about 2 handed bonus damage

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 08:55

I'd allow it for two-handed ranged weapons personally. Loving the system so far, but after a few sessions I feel like they're a little underpowered and this would give them a little boost.

Michele

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 16:00

Short answer: yes, the bonus applies to Bows and Great Bows as well.

In fact, Bow and Great Bow should have listed "2-handed" in addition to "Ranged weapon" in the Notes (it will probably be added to a clarification/amendment file).
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 16:22

Good to know, gives bows a little more stopping power in the hands of a skilled archer.

Mordante

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 17:01

In fact, Bow and Great Bow should have listed "2-handed" in addition to "Ranged weapon" in the Notes (it will probably be added to a clarification/amendment file).
Don't want to sound rude but are you in any position to say its a "official" ruling? Or just another forumite like me? Anyway my 2 pennies worth is that a Bow shouldn't receive the additional +1damage unlike a melee 2 handed weapon.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 17:32

Don't want to sound rude but are you in any position to say its a "official" ruling? Or just another forumite like me? Anyway my 2 pennies worth is that a Bow shouldn't receive the additional +1damage unlike a melee 2 handed weapon.
Check the writing credits on the book, yes its an 'official' answer.