Otaku-sempai

Re: Extra Weapons

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 01:20

It's still incredibly counter-intuitive to place a Throwing Knife in the Swords group as they are not remotely used in the same manner. Training in swordmanship has absolutely no bearing on how one would use a Throwing Knife.
Same for throwing a spear and using the spear skill, (or throwing an axe and using the axes skill, like I put forward).
No, it is not the same. Spears (at least many shorter spears) are meant to be thrown, as are some axes. I would, for example, class Javelins as Short Spears and treat them as such. Swords are simply not meant or designed to be thrown; it is not part of that skill set.
Yes it is counter-intuitive I agree, but working within the confines of what is already in the book it seems the best solution. Not the most elegant I agree, but factoring in all the mechanical and feel good feeling at the table, it seems the best option. Of course it is all house rule anyway. In the end I can't see throwing knives being taken too often anyway, it was more for symmetry that I included it.
It is one solution. Or, we could rule that an Exotic Martial Weapon (Throwing Knife, Sling, etc.) is treated as though it is its own Combat proficiency (initial ranking determined using the Brawling rules) and it can only be improved during a Fellowship phase by using Adventure points to buy new ranks. A Loremaster might further rule that a Hero must find a teacher who is already proficient with the exotic weapon to obtain the full benefits of using that weapon. Might this be a better solution?
#FideltyToTolkien

Inculta

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 02:44

Here's my take on crossbows.

New weapon quality: Must Reload
Crossbows need a main action to reload; you can still perform a secondary action after reloading.
On successful Prepared Shots, crossbows gain an extra 1d on the next ranged attack.

Crossbow
Damage 3
Injury 15
Load 3
Skill Group - Bows
Ranged weapon. Must reload.

Hunting Crossbow
Damage 4
Injury 17
Load 4
Skill Group - Bows

Heavy Crossbow
Damage 6
Injury 18
Load 6
Skill Group - Bows

Themadviolinist

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 03:34

I like the idea of exotic weapons starting at brawl but being upgradable. I think I can't class a sling as exotic in my own head canon, anymore than I would a quarter staff-like weapon, especially for hobbits.

Asgo

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 07:07

side note, in the context of thrown weapons and their ammo balance via load, nothing really stops you from defining thrown weapons in terms of sets having a load value, e.g.,
- a pair of throwing axes for one load
- a set of 3 throwing knives for one load
- Lobelia's silver table spoon set for two load ;)
that could be a way to counterbalance lesser damage value per throw against number of tries without giving in to unlimited ammo.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 16:18

In regards to crossbows.

Dodging around the notion of crossbows in Middle-Earth, I'll just say: Why would anyone bring a crossbow to a skirmish? It isn't really intended for such a roll, it was more of a siege weapon or limited open warfare in massed ranks. If you were a small band of scouts (ie the roll a band of adventurers might tackle) you would not bring a crossbow with you.

You could make an argument for a stealthy sniper type guy in a band of scouts but again why take a crossbow over a bow.

Just some random thoughts there.

Otaku-sempai

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 16:54

I like the idea of exotic weapons starting at brawl but being upgradable. I think I can't class a sling as exotic in my own head canon, anymore than I would a quarter staff-like weapon, especially for hobbits.
I understand, though the Sling has also been a weapon of war, so I can still see allowing a Hero to gain ranks with it.
#FideltyToTolkien

Otaku-sempai

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 16:57

In regards to crossbows.

Dodging around the notion of crossbows in Middle-Earth, I'll just say: Why would anyone bring a crossbow to a skirmish? It isn't really intended for such a roll, it was more of a siege weapon or limited open warfare in massed ranks. If you were a small band of scouts (ie the roll a band of adventurers might tackle) you would not bring a crossbow with you.

You could make an argument for a stealthy sniper type guy in a band of scouts but again why take a crossbow over a bow.

Just some random thoughts there.
Yeah, at most I think I would reserve the Crossbow as a weapon only found in some Easterling cultures and not something that is available in Western lands.
#FideltyToTolkien

Harlath

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 17:23

I think the recently published Nature of Middle Earth confirms Numenorean steel bows as crossbows used for hunting? Apologies, don’t have the book to hand. But this came out after the core book was written and think TOR’s licence overs Hobbit and Lord of the Rings only.

If memory is correct some of us may want to reflavour the “Steel Bow” enchanted reward in light of the new information. :)

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 17:28

If we were just keeping in the realms of weapon reskins (i.e not changing the stats just the name) would you allow a short spear to be called a throwing axe? would you allow it to be a throwing knife?

If you did allow a reskin what skill would they use - not changing the stats it would be spears...weird.

If you changed it to axes for the throwing axe reskin that works.
If you changed it to brawling for throwing knife then... that seems punitive.... so you would have to allow swords to be used.

There that's it, that's my final point for throwing knives using the swords group.

Yes you could add a throwing weapons as an alternative weapons group as another option but that spreads those precious adventure points on an extra weapon group - will players want to do that?

Otaku-sempai

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 17:58

I think the recently published Nature of Middle Earth confirms Numenorean steel bows as crossbows used for hunting? Apologies, don’t have the book to hand. But this came out after the core book was written and think TOR’s licence overs Hobbit and Lord of the Rings only.

If memory is correct some of us may want to reflavour the “Steel Bow” enchanted reward in light of the new information. :)
Dunno, I'm still reading the book. But as far as I know, the steel bows of the Numenoreans are not supposed to be crossbows. However, I might be mistaken.
#FideltyToTolkien