Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Re: Extra Weapons

Wed 24 Nov 2021, 19:07

Here are a few extra weapon options - they are certainly not in Tolkien's works but they are weapons that would fit into the same 'historical' timeframe. They maintain a mechanical balance that makes them distinct from other already existing weapons.

Staff Sling 4 14 2 Brawling Ranged Weapon

Notes: This weapon breaks the rules a little - it has 2 upgrades over the sling rather than 1, this is because it has to be mechanically better than a Bow otherwise no one would take the -1d hit to accuracy because it belongs to the brawling category. Still a dubious choice to take a -1d to hit for +1 damage and +2 Injury. Mainly here for completion.

Bill 5 14 3 Spear 2-handed
Falchion 3 18 2 Swords -
Composite Bow 4 14 3 Bows Ranged Weapon

Notes: These three weapons are intended to be what the Mattock is to the Long-hafted axe in the Axe group. They have a mechanical trade off that makes it a distinct choice to the Spear/Sword/Long Bow respectively. As with the Mattock, they would be rarer weapons and may only be used by distinct cultures.

The Bill is a halfway weapon between an axe and spear, It is more damaging than a spear but does not Injury as well as a spear used two handed (this is for mechanical balance) It also loses the ability to be thrown (for obvious reasons) and keep the same Load.

The Falchion is a alternative to a normal Sword. It loses 1 damage but gains a +2 Injury while remaining the same Load.

The Composite Bow is an alternative to the Long Bow I came up with. It switches a +1 damage rather than +2 injury over a normal Bow for a +1 Load (this is for mechanical balance reasons).

So there you are, distinct mechanically different weapons that add more choice for players. It may be the case that I have overlooked some other hidden mechanical balance factor that makes one of these better than intended - please feel free to point them out if you see them.

gyrovague

Wed 24 Nov 2021, 23:29

Wait, what about the Guisarme-Voulge? Bohemian ear-spoon? Lucerne hammer?

Their absence totally destroys my immersion.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 02:07

Wow, that was an inspired post there. Really well thought out, have an internet cookie.

gyrovague

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 07:14

Wow, that was an inspired post there. Really well thought out, have an internet cookie.
Whoah.

I was making what I thought was a funny (and maybe a little bit nostalgic) reference to AD&D. Apparently that's not how it was taken. Sorry.

Fenhorn

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 08:50

Moderator Message: If someone wants to have a discussion about possible additional weapons to the game, perhaps that is what should be discussed here. Posting nonsens-posts will just clutter the thread down. A joke for example could have been added to a post that actually contributed to the discussion.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Rafamir

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 18:45

Weighing in here on topic and on humor. First, culturally defined weapons are an essential element of world-building. What non-Dwarf in their right mind would opt to swing a mattock? And in an abstracted game like TOR, having a short rather than encyclopedic list of weapons makes sense.

Adding a weapon to the game begs the question, why? The only ones I've added so far are a nasty spear used by the bodyguard of a merchant from Rhûn. A mechanical release fans two smaller blades out of the main blade, allowing the wielder to use a special success to disarm an adversary using a 1-handed weapon. I named it a Rhunka, of course. The other is a prodigious hammer called The Black Maul, an artifact of Black Numenorean make. That doesn't mean any hero can run around my game with a maul or hammer, but an unusual weapon can spice things up now and again.

Well do I remember memorizing these names in AD&D, and Rich Burlew's tribute to them in https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html.

Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Fri 26 Nov 2021, 02:09

The ear-spoon is obviously better suited as a useful object in this system silly.

The other two are too late 'historically' for the setting.

(Got my sense of humour back)

Inculta

Mon 10 Jan 2022, 23:36

Here's some more I've come up with, the idea being to give some good bludgeoning weapons that can be used with different proficiencies or brawling to represent their simplicity and/or versatility. I also changed the standard clubs a bit to fit with them. I've included my take on polearms too.

Cudgel - Damage 3 - Injury 12 - Load 0 - Brawling
Staff - Damage 3 - Injury 13 - Load 1 - Spears* or Brawling - 2-handed, +1 loss of Endurance on Special Damage - Heavy Blow. *Cannot use Special Damage - Pierce.
Club - Damage 4 - Injury 13 - Load 1 - Brawling
Great Club - Damage 5 - Injury 13 - Load 4 - Brawling - 2-handed, +2 loss of Endurance on Special Damage - Heavy Blow.

I've also touched up the whole weapon list with a few rebalances that these are based around, which I'll post a bit later.