a2le
Topic Author

Sharing useful items

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 16:00

Hi all,
do you think that characters may share their useful items with their companions?
For example: may Alice use her coil of rope to get an athletic bonus to climb down a cliff, and then Bob do the same?
I haven't found any explicit prohibition in the rules, so far... But I might be wrong.

Anyway, depending on the object, if useful items were considered something specific to the character, it could be difficult to justify, narratively.
What do you think about it?

Sebastian

Re: Sharing useful items

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 16:17

It depends, what kind of item that is. A rope? Sure. But dwarven tools might only help a dwarf. If it is a highly personal item, I‘d say you can’t share it. But the wording „useful item“ implies, that you can share it. Otherwise it wouldn’t be useful. ;)

HunterGreen

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 13:51

If you were allowed to share them, it'd be easy for any party to have +1d on almost every roll out there, and thus they would become meaningless. Trivially, yes they can share it, but they don't get the +1d when they do.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Sebastian

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 15:07

I don't really see the problem, cause let's face it: Most of the items you just would't share, even if you could. The Dwarvish tools for smithing or stoneworks? Why would the Dwarf not do it himself? The high quality cloths? Not really seeing the Barding getting out of it so another Hero gets +1d on Courtesy. But the rope, sure, why not?

a2le
Topic Author

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 19:11

Yes, a few items won't be shared, but others, like lanterns, ropes, spyglasses, healing herbs, etc. why, narratively speaking, should I, as the LM, say that they are not allowed to be shared, or don't give the bonus die if they are used in the right way?
I see HunterGreen's point, however, I think the rules should not go against the verisimilitude, shouldn't they?

gyrovague

Fri 22 Oct 2021, 06:51

The Dwarvish tools for smithing or stoneworks? Why would the Dwarf not do it himself?
Also, blacksmiths just don't share their favorite hammers.

Sebastian

Fri 22 Oct 2021, 08:22

That’s what I was aiming at. There might be some items, that can be shared, but usually they are way too personal to do that.

Dunheved

Fri 22 Oct 2021, 09:02

If an item were appropriate to be shared, I think I might also add a bit of risk to lending it out. If the borrower rolls an Eye when using it : it's either lost or broken or otherwise consumed. Replace the item in next Fellowship phase though.

baldrick0712

Fri 22 Oct 2021, 19:53

For example: may Alice use her coil of rope to get an athletic bonus to climb down a cliff, and then Bob do the same?
As a Loremaster I would say no. Alice "trusts" that rope as it's her useful item. She knows where it came from, who made it, and that it is a good, solid piece of rope. Bob on the other hand will be gingerly climbing down worried it might snap at any minute or that he might lose his grip.

Rafamir

Fri 22 Oct 2021, 22:22

@dunheved @baldrick Both your responses offer great flavor for keeping useful items useful but restricted. Thank you!