fahrgast
Topic Author

Virtue of the Rangers of the North: Ways of the Wild

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 13:17

This virtue gives the ranger this advantage: "you are always allowed to cover more than one role during a journey."

I guess that normally a character can cover more than one role only if the company is less than four heroes (see p.109, Assign journey roles). With this virtue, a ranger could cover more than one role even if the company is four or more heroes. But, how many roles is the ranger allowed to cover?

Dunheved

Re: Virtue of the Rangers of the North: Ways of the Wild

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 18:04

I know that in TOR1e, Aragorn was "not your typical Ranger" *, but from Bree to Weathertop, didn't he do all four?
And then he dropped the Hunting efforts after the attack on Weathertop, as they had 'the need for speed' changing the priority?

* btw I do think that among the other Rangers there were many more who were not so very far off in performance as Aragorn. I think particularly of the 30 members of the Grey Company. Think how far and how hard they must have moved to reach him in Rohan.

So maybe a Ranger can cover as many roles as their Wisdom level?

gyrovague

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 18:55

I think it’s interesting that this virtue would allow an experienced Ranger to guide, for example, 4 freshly rolled Hobbits through the wilderness. Not sure how much fun that would be for those 4 players, but it’s interesting.

Could also be used for a duet-play version of the same thing, in which the hobbits are LMCs. That might actually be fun. I can imagine some custom rules where you randomly generate the trouble the hobbits get into.

Dunheved

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 18:59

@gyrovague's point. Yes. But each hobbit could be an additional Scout, Hunter or Look out. - cant have two Guides, naturally , but 3 out of 4 aint bad. And the Frodo character is trying to avoid rolling an Eye as he has this odd bit of jewellery...

SaFe

Mon 21 Mar 2022, 18:37

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but any official statement here?
If you have three players for example and not one of these is a ranger the rulebook just says that if the Company counts less than four Player-heroes, then one or more adventurers will have to take on the duty of multiple roles. But no additional costs or drawbacks in comparison to the ranger virtue are mentioned, so i can't see the advantage of the Ways of the Wild virtue besides the 1 Hope for 1 magical success at Hunting, Explore or Travel here.

Harlath

Mon 21 Mar 2022, 19:56

Advantages:
- Can Support the additional Skills (for a 1d or 2d bonus via hope spending), or use your Skill if it is higher (Ranger is 2d in all of these skills at character creation) and have the other PC support.
- Even without that element, the Virtue is equivalent to Broken Spells (a Dwarf Virtue) as it allows magical successes across three Skills. You get a small extra benefit here (covering extra journey roles) at the cost of not getting to pick the Skills (whereas Broken Spells lets you pick the skills).