fahrgast
Topic Author

Virtue of the hobbits: Art of disappearing

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 12:32

The mechanic of this virtue is:

If a location or a situation offers even the smallest opportunity to hide or sneak silently away, make a STEALTH roll: If you get one or more Success icons, you can spend one to simply disappear.

It doesn't say anything about rolling successfully. Does it mean that you can disappear even if you fail the roll?

Mordante

Re: Virtue of the hobbits: Art of disappearing

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 12:48

I think you have to get a minimum of one success result on a d6 to be successful...but I could be wrong.

fahrgast
Topic Author

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 13:06

Maybe I haven't explained my doubt well. Suppose a hobbit with Wits 6 (TN 14) and 2 ranks in Stealth wants to disappear.

Does the hobbit need to get a total of 14+ and at least one success icon to disappear? Or could they disappear with a success icon even if getting less than 14 in the Stealth roll?

Themadviolinist

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 14:49

The general rule is that in order to activate extra successes, you have to numerically succeed on the roll. The extra successes do not apply if you do not score enough to succeed numerically. Now that I think about this, it makes the virtue a little more puzzling, since you've already succeeded on the stealth roll numerically, so I'm not sure what the difference is. My initial read is that, whereas a stealth roll could be overturned later, the art of disappearing is just a narrative truth; the hobbit cannot be found by anyone until they wish to reveal themselves.

Dunheved

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 18:53

Examining "Making a Roll" pages 17 to 19, the hobbit has to Succeed first. Then its on page 85 Art of Disappearing: the Virtue is that by Spending the T result, the hobbit does not simply sneak into position past an adversary. (Boromir had never heard of this - he thought that one does not simply walk into Mordor. He should have grown up in the Shire!)

The hobbit has now reached a place where no one can observe them. Even the fellow PCs think the hobbit has disappeared. No other guard or adversary gets any sighting. So if the guard turns around as they patrol, and looks straight at the spot where the Hobbit is, they remain unnoticed.

Imagine it: unable to be seen, the hobbit stands & picks the padlock to a gate right in front of the guard. If the hobbit fails, he is STILL not seen and might be able to try again in a later turn, or even sneak back to the Company. (Unless he fails with an Eye perhaps?) With the right Useful Item - a set of lockpicks - he remains undetected and narrates the gate open. STILL unseen, he slips through while the guard comes over, scratches his head, and mutters " Well, I could have sworn I closed and locked that! Good job, the Lieutenant of Barad-Dur didn't come by. I'd have been for the Shriekers!"

That's the Virtue: the hobbit must beat the TN AND get at least one T result to carry it off.
Success with extra T: Apply Virtue if you want
Normal Success, he makes it there, but cannot stay in safety.
Failure = Hobbit Soup.
Success with Woe? - the hobbit makes it, but ..... he has dropped his lockpicks - in full view of the guard who picks them up and wonders what these small bits of metal are. ALSO , as the raw roll failed to get to a Success, any T cannot be applied with the Virtue. (Another LM may interpret differently here of course)