Mordante
Topic Author

Assisting another PC in combat...

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 13:06

What's everyone's opinion on whether somebody can do this by spending a hope point as per usual rule or would this unbalance combat and perhaps it would limit the effect of the protect companion action?

Sebastian

Re: Assisting another PC in combat...

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 16:15

Don‘t see a reason, why not. I haven’t read the „assisting companion“ rule as only for skill checks. Maybe have to read up on it. But in combat that basically means, that the helping hero forgoes his attack. Protect companion on the other hand is purely defensive, so we’re not stepping on its toes, so to speak.

Niallism

Mon 18 Oct 2021, 02:37

The Support ability in the rules is only for Skill Rolls. I think, basically, the combat tasks such as Inspire are how you're supposed to support each other in combat. Not just a simple Hope expenditure.

Of course you can support on Skill Rolls in combat, such as Inspire, Intimidate etc.

You might even get an Inspiration or Fellowship focus bonus.

Rafamir

Mon 18 Oct 2021, 23:35

While you can play however you want, I agree with Niallism. I do not plan to allow Support for Combat Proficiency rolls. Support is something that entails dispensing advice or active collaboration, for which the chaos of battle is not especially suited, however I can see players making a case for allowing it for a Skill roll like Awe, Battle, etc. It had better be persuasive :)

baldrick0712

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 11:33

Though not a use of Hope, don't forget that when everyone in the fellowship makes a Stealth roll to ambush an enemy party you can spend Tengwars rolled on your Success Dice to turn another player-hero's failed Stealth roll into a success. In effect, one player-hero warns another one to stay still or something like that. If all player-heroes pass their Stealth roll, assisted or otherwise, the enemy party has no Opening Volley and cannot act in the first Close Quarters round. Likewise you can spend Tengwars to help another player-hero pass their Awareness roll to spot an ambush on the fellowship so they don't get caught by surprise and lose their Opening Volley and first Close Quarters round actions.