steever
Topic Author

Arrows

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 09:46

How many do you get, how many does a quiver hold? Could not find any info. Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

Re: Arrows

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 10:02

Arrows are not really counted in TOR. If there should be a battle, that goes on and on, or there is an adventure, in which a Bowman can't get new arrows, I simply decide, when he's out.

Mordante

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 10:13

Maybe they run out of arrows on a sauron results on the feat die and a miss result or would that be too severe?

Dunheved

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 10:35

I just don't go there.

It is so easy to narrate recovering new stock. I am led to believe that it is entirely plausible to do as Legolas does, and grope for shafts that have been fired into his area, yet missed. (Good enough for Legolas = canon)
In play I assume that when rolling a Bow action, I am probably firing two or three times and the best strike of those is what the dice reveal. In extended combat I rarely get off three dice rolls before its time to use a close quarters weapon.
Then, in narrative, if I were to get into longer term archer mode, I have been inside a fortress/building where more stashes of arrows would be accessible. Or my PC has had the time and/or the expectation to Craft up a few spares in anticipation of an attack or battle to come.

The downside of not being an arrow accountant: can't claim a reduction in Load when they are all used up.

steever
Topic Author

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 11:05

Maybe they run out of arrows on a sauron results on the feat die and a miss result or would that be too severe?
I like that, you reach behind you to pull an arrow from your quiver but there's nothing there!

Asgo

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 11:06

given the abstraction and detail level concerning weapons in general, I would call munition counting as out of place for this combat system.
For the same reason, I think the removal of the ranges table from 1ed that was mentioned in another thread fits into the same mold.

Except for narrative reasons or very prolonged combat I wouldn't really consider them at all, and definitely not as distinct count at best as "have or not have for combat encounter"
The only technical exception I would make is for thrown weapons (that are not picked up like stones), no more thrown weapons than you have - but that should be a fairly low count to kep track of. :)