Maetharim
Topic Author

Guides on journeys

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 18:29

I know this was brought up before by someone else by why are guides never targeted by a journey event? There is at least one virtue rendered entirely moot by this system choice.

gull2112

Re: Guides on journeys

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 19:36

What virtue is rendered moot?
Also note, in smaller parties, some PH's must handle multiple roles.

Maetharim
Topic Author

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 19:42

The virtue is Memory of Ancient Days for elves. If an elf is a guide, they never get targeted for a journey event, so this blessing has no effect for them. Obviously yes, the elf could take a different role in the company. I'm just curious as to why the guide is never targeted by journey events at all. No guide is, regardless of culture.

Mythicos

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 20:44

The virtue is Memory of Ancient Days for elves. If an elf is a guide, they never get targeted for a journey event, so this blessing has no effect for them. Obviously yes, the elf could take a different role in the company. I'm just curious as to why the guide is never targeted by journey events at all. No guide is, regardless of culture.
Oh wow.

Your answer has just made me realize our group read that virtue COMPLETLY wrongly...

We thought that the "Roll as if in Border Land" part was to be applied for EVERY character (i.e. that "you" was a collective "you", as in the whole fellowship).

Let's just say that the players rarely had any adverse events.

Anders Molin

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 14:41

I know this was brought up before by someone else by why are guides never targeted by a journey event? There is at least one virtue rendered entirely moot by this system choice.
This was changed from the alpha version. I don't have the pdf at hand and others may certainly be more in the know, but I just figured that the Guide makes a lot of rolls during journeys anyway (their Travel rolls) and the change was done in order to share spotlight time more evenly between the players.

Dorjcal

Sat 16 Oct 2021, 22:40

Oh wow.

Your answer has just made me realize our group read that virtue COMPLETLY wrongly...

We thought that the "Roll as if in Border Land" part was to be applied for EVERY character (i.e. that "you" was a collective "you", as in the whole fellowship).

Let's just say that the players rarely had any adverse events.
You did not read it wrong, they changed it from aplha to final release

Inculta

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 04:00

I can see why they'd change it since the guide is already making a roll every "phase" of the journey, but my complaint would be that it doesn't seem like anything can happen to the guide event-wise from the rolls. Nothing special from a Gandalf rune, nothing awful from a Sauron roll, nothing. They just roll and regardless of the result move ahead a variable distance.

Maetharim
Topic Author

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 16:24

I can see why they'd change it since the guide is already making a roll every "phase" of the journey, but my complaint would be that it doesn't seem like anything can happen to the guide event-wise from the rolls. Nothing special from a Gandalf rune, nothing awful from a Sauron roll, nothing. They just roll and regardless of the result move ahead a variable distance.
Ya that’s my point. The guide never really fails.

Sebastian

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 17:12

Ya that’s my point. The guide never really fails.
Technically, yes. But if the guide fails a Travel roll, the Event happens only 2 Hex away. If he continues to screw up, the whole company is collecting a lot of fatigue on the journey. Plus, on a 1 (Despair) he actually can get a Shadow point like every one else, if the companion fails.

Niallism

Mon 18 Oct 2021, 02:33

If a Guide is able enough, couldn't they also take on one of the other roles? I think that's how the rules work.