Thranduil's Elk

Re: Getting Excited for the Printed Materials!

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 15:28

Actually I'm in the opposite camp. While the books themselves look okay, the rules look awful. Can't see my players enjoying this convoluted mess of a game. So at best we'll convert it to a system we actually know and like. Otherwise, I may just flip the books once they arrive, which is getting further into the future at any rate. Having more regrets than Saruman about backing this Kickstarter. Oh well, live & learn.
Not all who wander are lost....

baldrick0712

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 16:05

Actually I'm in the opposite camp. While the books themselves look okay, the rules look awful. Can't see my players enjoying this convoluted mess of a game. So at best we'll convert it to a system we actually know and like. Otherwise, I may just flip the books once they arrive, which is getting further into the future at any rate. Having more regrets than Saruman about backing this Kickstarter. Oh well, live & learn.
Did you have the 1st edition and prefer it or is this your first taste of TOR and you just don't like it?

Thranduil's Elk

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 05:07

Did you have the 1st edition and prefer it or is this your first taste of TOR and you just don't like it?
Never played 1e, but I had checked out AiME and didn't like it. Part of that was due to my general loathing of all things 5e. I had high hopes for this, but skimming the rules suggests that there's no way my regular group will play this. Too many conditions, stances, meta-gaming mechanics, etc. for our tastes. Not getting the rules-light vibe at all. Simply reading the questions about the mechanics on these boards is making it seem worse. But I can't stand reading gaming books in pdf so maybe it will make more sense in print. I definitely got caught up in the KS hype back in the spring.
Not all who wander are lost....

baldrick0712

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 09:58

Too many conditions, stances, meta-gaming mechanics, etc. for our tastes.
Fair enough, and thanks for clarifying. I think Francesco Nepitello is a board game designer at heart and this comes across in the mechanics of TOR but in a way, that's what I like about it. Each to his own.

jamesrbrown
Topic Author

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 19:57

To me, the printed page is always more stunning than a PDF. That's why I cannot wait to see the artwork on paper and flip through the pages of this edition. I also cannot wait to actually play it. Unlike when TOR 1e came out, my life is now swallowed up in other things and I have been delaying getting my gaming group back together. Otherwise, I probably would have started putting together my own adventures and converting some of my 1e resources to 2e by now. That's why I haven't commented much on these forums. I suspect that by the time my hands get on the materials, things will start to change. So, here's to fast boats, smooth docking, speedy unloads, and accurate deliveries!

gyrovague

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 22:20

To me, the printed page is always more stunning than a PDF. That's why I cannot wait to see the artwork on paper and flip through the pages of this edition. I also cannot wait to actually play it. Unlike when TOR 1e came out, my life is now swallowed up in other things and I have been delaying getting my gaming group back together. Otherwise, I probably would have started putting together my own adventures and converting some of my 1e resources to 2e by now. That's why I haven't commented much on these forums. I suspect that by the time my hands get on the materials, things will start to change. So, here's to fast boats, smooth docking, speedy unloads, and accurate deliveries!
I have to admit (although this is probably pretty obvious by now) that I'm on the disappointed side about the mechanics of the game. And I say this as somebody who has always been a passionate TOR fan, with many hours spent volunteer proofreading, and a general Francesco groupie. I still love the artwork, and the writing, and the flavor. And based on past experience I expect to really like the adventures, NPCs, locations, etc.

The reality is that most of the things that disappoint me about 2e are not all that different from 1e. TOR has always been a game in which, if you stripped away all the flavor and color and description, the mechanics themselves just don't lead to sophisticated decision-making. The game has always been more about using the rules to generate opportunities to tell stories, and not about making trade-offs based on the rules alone. In my ideal world it would be both, but I guess it's not an ideal world. In many ways. (WHERE'S MY FLYING CAR?!?!?!?!)

So maybe it is I that have changed, not the game, and somehow I was (unreasonably) hoping for something different with 2e.

Still, I know I'll love reading every word of the material to come. And I'll keep buying it for that reason. Not sure I'll actually be playing it, though, unless I run the starter set...and maybe eventually a longer campaign...for my kids and their friends.

Rafamir

Thu 04 Nov 2021, 01:47

So maybe it is I that have changed, not the game, and somehow I was (unreasonably) hoping for something different with 2e.
I love the introspection here. I came back to D&D after a 30+ year hiatus thanks to the pandemic, AiMe, and Zoom. I have definitely changed as a DM/LM:

I no longer want a chart for everything, or stats for every exotic (or bog standard) weapon. I'm looking for some easily adjusted knobs to facilitate improvisation and story-telling on the fly, however thought out ahead the adventure may be. Favoured rolls, complications/advantages, and the like give me that.

To be honest, AiMe was starting to bore me, because it lacks the much-needed mechanics of Hope, being Weary, or the grittiness of Piercing Blows and Wounds. I moved my campaign to TOR with the Alpha rules, and it has met those needs nicely. 1e might have done so too, but it took the kickstarter for me to take the plunge.

I didn't play 1e, so I cannot share directly in the disappointment some veterans have experienced from the evolution to 2e. Like any system, it is what you make of it.

jamesrbrown
Topic Author

Wed 10 Nov 2021, 01:19

Now I'm wondering which ship my order is arriving on in the US: Vancouver or L.A.? I'm guessing L.A. since I'm in Arizona, but who knows. The suspense...

collin

Thu 11 Nov 2021, 05:13

Here's hoping it arrives in Boston soon. I'm very excited to get everything.

AprendizdeBrujo

Fri 12 Nov 2021, 15:30

I had the opportunity to see the printed version of the core book in a meeting with Francesco Nepitello last weekend and I have to say that the quality of the printed materials is awesome!
I've seen the cloth maps and also the core book, the texture of the paper used in the core book is really nice and the cover is also printed in some kind of cloth-textured paper that feels really nice in hand.