Dorjcal
Topic Author

Official answer requested: debate on rally comrade

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 19:36

Hi!

There has been quite a debate on the official Discord (and not for the first time), and the general conclusion is that both lines of thought are equally fine.
However I would like to ask if an official ruling can be provided regarding the rule of Rally Comrade.

RAW:
On a successful roll, all members of the Company fighting in a Forward stance gain (1d) on their attack rolls in the following round.

This has been interpreted in two ways:

1) On a successful roll, all members of the Company currently fighting in a Forward stance gain (1d) on their attack rolls in the following round.

2) On a successful roll, all members of the Company fighting in a Forward stance in the following round gain (1d) on their attack rolls .

Thanks!

Mordante

Re: Official answer requested: debate on rally comrade

Mon 18 Oct 2021, 19:10

After rereading the section it states FOLLOWING ROUND so I'm of the mind it takes effect on the next round giving characters the chance to perhaps switch stance to take advantage of forward or perhaps even open.

This would also give the character who took the rally action to also move into an forward stance/affected stance to gain the d6

HunterGreen

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 13:16

After rereading the section it states FOLLOWING ROUND so I'm of the mind it takes effect on the next round giving characters the chance to perhaps switch stance to take advantage of forward or perhaps even open.

This would also give the character who took the rally action to also move into an forward stance/affected stance to gain the d6
That's what Jacob Rodgers, one of the people who worked with Francesco et al. on the writing (though he's not on the credits page), said he thought the intent was, when asked in the Discord. I think that is as close as we're going to get to an official answer, so I changed Narvi to work that way (I had first interpreted it the opposite way, where the stance you're in at the time of the Rally determined if you got the bonus on the next round).
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Dorjcal
Topic Author

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 00:10

That's what Jacob Rodgers, one of the people who worked with Francesco et al. on the writing (though he's not on the credits page), said he thought the intent was, when asked in the Discord. I think that is as close as we're going to get to an official answer, so I changed Narvi to work that way (I had first interpreted it the opposite way, where the stance you're in at the time of the Rally determined if you got the bonus on the next round).
The funny thing is that at the beginning I always thought it was like Jackob said, but after someone else made me notice the other interpretation, I cannot unsee it.

fahrgast

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 00:53

If you get two success icons, Rally Comrades affects heroes fighting in defensive stance.

IMHO, from a narrative perspective, it's hard to explain that heroes in defensive stance are affected by the rally, they are making an attack without the rally bonus, and then they are making another attack with the bonus in the next round. I see this problem with both interpretations of the rule.

From the same point of view, I think that interpretation 2) is easier to explain as a quick plan that the rallying character makes for the following round.

HunterGreen

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 13:52

The funny thing is that at the beginning I always thought it was like Jackob said, but after someone else made me notice the other interpretation, I cannot unsee it.
That might have been me. If so, I'm sorry!
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Simaruk

Thu 21 Oct 2021, 20:01

I'd imagine the intend was that the character calls her comrade to charge forward (=move to forward stance), so the bonus is to anyone in that stance the next round.

Michele

Fri 29 Oct 2021, 16:09

Official answer: the bonus applies only in the following round, and is granted to any companion who will take the allowed stance(s) in that round.

For example, on a normal success on the Enhearten roll, all companions (including the one who rallied) who will go to Forward stance in the following round will enjoy the bonus.

Note that the bonus applies only in the following round, not to the following attack; meaning that if 2 Tengwars are rolled (allowing anyone fighting in a close combat stance to enjoy the bonus), a companion fighting in Defensive stance (who then acts after the companion who rallied) doesn't immediately get the bonus in this round, but will enjoy it in the following one (regardless of the stance they'll take, since the rallying companion scored 2 Tengwars).
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

baldrick0712

Sun 31 Oct 2021, 12:49

If you get two success icons, Rally Comrades affects heroes fighting in defensive stance.

IMHO, from a narrative perspective, it's hard to explain that heroes in defensive stance are affected by the rally, they are making an attack without the rally bonus, and then they are making another attack with the bonus in the next round. I see this problem with both interpretations of the rule.
If so, what would you do instead for two success icons? I don't personally see a problem - the characters in Defensive Stance are spurred on to hold their ground even more determinedly.

[EDIT]

I think I see what you're getting at - Defensive Stance characters act after Open Stance characters so why do they seemingly not notice that their morale has been boosted until the following round? I wouldn't worry too much about that. I see everything happening more or less simultaneously even though from a game mechanic point of view you roll for attacks in Stance Order (Forward, Open, Defensive, Rearward).