Elenath
Topic Author

Thoughts on the Cultural Virtues

Mon 11 Oct 2021, 19:19

I was wondering what were other's thoughts on the Cultural Virtues.

Do you find them to be balanced?

Do you find any to be underpowered or overpowered?

Thanks in advance.

Maetharim

Re: Thoughts on the Cultural Virtues

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 19:47

I know the elves in 2e are from Lindon and not Mirkwood but man do I miss the elf-lights cultural virtue. That was so cool. It was a subtle magic really suited to elves and to the setting. And the fact that you could learn how to improve it from the lampmaker? So cool....

Harlath

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 19:54

I know the elves in 2e are from Lindon and not Mirkwood but man do I miss the elf-lights cultural virtue. That was so cool. It was a subtle magic really suited to elves and to the setting. And the fact that you could learn how to improve it from the lampmaker? So cool....
I think in one interview with the designer he noted that the Magical Success rules and the Elven Virtue could be used to reproduce those effects. :)

We might also get some of those virtues in the 2e pdf that updates the Wilderland cultures.

eternalsage

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 21:28

And if not, not too hard to port.

And no, I don't think it's a problem. Of course I don't agree that game makers should waste all their time focusing on things like balance anyway, when flavor is much more important. What do I mean?

Simply that you can only balance effectively for one playstyle, while there are many out there, number one. Anyone who has ever played an mmo knows what I mean, with patches for pvp messing up gameplay for pve etc. Also, you can never think of every possible use for an ability. Some player will eventually come along and use it in a unique way and totally destroy the game. Finally, narratively it makes no sense. Bilbo should not be equal to Thorin in combat, ever, even after years of play.
“It is useless to meet revenge with revenge; it will heal nothing.” - Frodo Baggins, Return of the King

gyrovague

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 22:55

And if not, not too hard to port.

And no, I don't think it's a problem. Of course I don't agree that game makers should waste all their time focusing on things like balance anyway, when flavor is much more important. What do I mean?

Simply that you can only balance effectively for one playstyle, while there are many out there, number one. Anyone who has ever played an mmo knows what I mean, with patches for pvp messing up gameplay for pve etc. Also, you can never think of every possible use for an ability. Some player will eventually come along and use it in a unique way and totally destroy the game. Finally, narratively it makes no sense. Bilbo should not be equal to Thorin in combat, ever, even after years of play.
True, but there can still be choices that are just bad (or too good). And while some players may not care about that, and choose purely for flavor, I would rather see things designed so that the players who do care about mechanical balance feel like they have a choice as well.

eternalsage

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 00:15

That makes sense and I can agree with that :D
“It is useless to meet revenge with revenge; it will heal nothing.” - Frodo Baggins, Return of the King

Themadviolinist

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 05:38

I don't love the Bree folk cultural virtues. Of all the cultures, including High Elves from the Rivendell book, the Bree Folk seem to have virtues that don't add to the flavor of the game, or provide opportunities for awesomeness in the way that all other cultures seem to have.