Mordante
Topic Author

Thoughts on target numbers?

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 21:11

I was wondering what peoples thoughts on the levels of target numbers were? Are you happy with them being 20 minus stat or would you prefer using a another number instead?
I ask as I watched a gameplay video on YouTube and the players were repeatedly unable to reach their TNs even though they were using Hope points and were burning through them.

Asgo

Re: Thoughts on target numbers?

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 21:31

there were a few threads on that when the alpha rules came out, not sure if people have gathered more practical experiences.

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=8134
viewtopic.php?f=129&t=8011

the one line summation, use the 20 when you want more character development over time and take for example 18 for short games and one shots, or if you just want a slightly easier start.

Additionally, the rules got a short section on tweaking the TN calculation on page 18, that basically covers that.
TWEAKING THE TARGET NUMBERS
Calculating TNs by subtracting the Attribute scores from
20 results in difficulty thresholds that are appropriate to
medium to long campaigns, as they present a challenge
to inexperienced individuals, but hold up well as those
same characters advance in proficiency. For shorter cam-
paigns or one-shot games the players and the Loremaster
may agree to derive the TNs by subtracting their Attri-
butes from 18 instead.
The starter set uses 18 without specifically mentioning the option.

also nothing stops you to start with one and change it over time. It is basically an easy way to adjust the difficulty depending how things are working out and what kind of tone people prefer.

gyrovague

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 22:03

Given that there is this raging debate about "18 - attribute is too easy!" vs. "20 - attribute is too hard!", the only thing that really surprises me is that "19 - attribute" hasn't gained more traction.

Asgo

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 22:18

true :)
I think the 18 came into play from an earlier version, right? no one really bothered with going in between.

you always can make it dynamic, roll a d6 before any TN roll, on even take 20 on odd take 18 as basis - just to make it more flexible ;)

Sebastian

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 22:27

I think 20-attribute is absolutely okay, given the fact, that Hope recovers very quickly. You have your Fellowship Pool every game, you get your Heart every Fellowship Phase back and back to full Hope in the Yule Fellowship Phase. Meaning, since you should roll for a Skill only if it is important and/or dangerous, you can spend Hope more freely than in 1e.

Mordante
Topic Author

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 22:37

Many thanks for the replies.. I haven't run a game yet but I think I'll try it with the TN at 20 and see how it goes.

Inculta

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 04:31

While I never played 1e I think the semi-static TN with modifiers, so Attribute - 20 with Success/Negative dice, is great. I've done dozens of test rolls and it doesn't seem too hard at all to hit in my opinion, especially given that players will regularly be throwing in at least two Success dice to a lot of rolls even early on.