Asrath
Topic Author

Journey and fatigue

Sat 09 Oct 2021, 22:31

We did some game testing today and played out a journey. I was wondering: did I do everything right as LM?

The guide managed to cover the distance with three journey events and all those events went well. Scout and Huntsmen didn't mess anything up and therefore the group and the acting heroes didn't gain any further penalty. Still with every event everyone in the company gained 2 fatigue, so 6 in total. They didn't bring any horse or pony, so they were not able to directly use vigour to reduce fatigue upon reaching the destination. Of course all rolled for travel. One was able to reduce fatigue to 3 with an extraordinary success, one didn't made the test and stayed with 6 fatigue, the other three had a normal success = 5 fatigue points. That seems to be a lot - compared to 1ed? Some players now do not have much endurance left before becoming weary.

Did I play it out as it ought to be?

Sebastian

Re: Journey and fatigue

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 09:11

Sounds all good! That’s why the Fellowship of the Ring travelled with a Pony and with the exception of Gimli wore no armor. When reading the LotR this seems appropriate, if the company gets weary during or after a long journey. Having three events means you traveled for how long? 6 hex to around 10? That’s 120 to 200 Miles, so quite far!

Asrath
Topic Author

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 16:36

Thanks for your reply. Overall the distance was 7 Hex. The guide succeeded the first two travel tests, but missed the last. So I went for three journey events.
Next time I would probably skip the last. With one hex left, there is no need to test the Guide, at least in spring / summer.

gull2112

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 17:09

As a LM, I quite enjoy watching my players grapple with the armor/fatigue trade off. The Dwarf really enjoys the Elf's and Ranger's dilemma!