Fingolfin
Topic Author

Re: Adversaries Weapon Ranks

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 20:38

Another thing to consider is that no matter what your defense is, your adversary can hit you 1/6 of the time because a ten or an eye on the feat die is automatic success.
This makes min/maxing for defense sub-optimal.
Only an eye is an automatic hit. A 10 is a piercing blow if the attack is successful.
In addition to causing the loss of Endurance points, any
successful attack may inflict a Piercing Blow.

gull2112

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 01:34

Harlath, good catch. To be strictly accurate, on page 99 it says that a Gandalf symbol or a 10 cause a piercing blow, and the adversary must make the save vs. THAT or suffer a wound, so it is not automatic. Success die 6's can be spent to add to the feat die to reach ten.

Fingolfin
Topic Author

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 01:41

Harlath, good catch. To be strictly accurate, on page 99 it says that a Gandalf symbol or a 10 cause a piercing blow, and the adversary must make the save vs. THAT or suffer a wound, so it is not automatic. Success die 6's can be spent to add to the feat die to reach ten.
But like I mentioned before, the attack has to hit first. If you roll a 10 and miss, it's not a piercing blow at all.

And yes, you can use tengwars to add to the feat die if the weapon has the Pierce special damage ability. However, once again, the attack has to be successful before you can spend tengwars to boost the feat die.
If a successful attack roll produces one or more Success icons, they can be used to trigger one or more
special results, based on the war gear of the attacker
So yeah, an eye is always a hit, but if you have a good enough Parry, enemies can definitely miss you even if they roll a 10.

gull2112

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 02:14

But like I mentioned before, the attack has to hit first. If you roll a 10 and miss, it's not a piercing blow at all.
Ah, great catch and distinction. A Gandalf symbol is an auto piercing blow, whereas a ten (or modified ten) is only a piercing blow if the attack hits. I'm getting my head wrapped around this, now.