Drizzt
Topic Author

Contradiction in Skill of Eldar in Rivendell book

Sat 02 Oct 2021, 14:36

Hi, what's the correct interpretation of this skill because there's an error in the text.
It states that when you roll a Tenwar on feat dice you get a magical success.
Tengwar we roll on success dices. So error is in naming a dice - success instead of feat or in rune Gendalf instead of Tengwar.
First option seams ok. Second option - that it's a Gendalf rune seams useless skill because Gendalf rune already gives auto success. So why to take a virtue which changes only narrative but mechanics stays the same - auto success.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211002-150123_Drive.jpg
Skill of Eldar
Screenshot_20211002-150123_Drive.jpg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 1355 times

Dorjcal

Re: Contradiction in Skill of Eldar in Rivendell book

Sat 02 Oct 2021, 15:04

I´d also would assume it is the success die and not the feat one

Sebastian

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 00:30

Rolling a Gandalf rune for achieving a magical success would be exactly the rule from first edition for High Elves. So I assume, this is where the little mistake comes from. Since High Elves already have the Elven Skill, I think the ability works better with rolling a Tengwar rune on the success dice.

Francesco

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 14:15

The Tengwar icon should have been a Gandalf rune, so the rest of the rule is correct.

I think here an example would have helped to understand the application of the rule, but the format we chose didn't allow for that. So, some notes follow:

- In the game, Magical successes are 'invoked' by spending a point of Hope before a roll. This grants an auto success AND a result beyond mortal means. So, a player can actually say they're going to cross the river walking on a single rope, or run on fresh snow, or rapidly jump on a high branch of a tree, etc. Rolling Tengwars on the Success dice adds flourish to what is already an almost impossible feat, and allows to 'buy' special successes, as usual.

- When High Elves with Skill of the Eldar roll a Gandalf, they achieve an auto success (as per the Gandalf roll and Magical result rule) AND are allowed to describe the superhuman consequences of their feat after the roll. And this EVERY time they get a Gandalf on a Skill roll, no Hope expenditure required. Based on your roll ratio, this may happen quite often (especially with Favoured rolls).

Francesco

Narl

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 16:17

Thanks for clearing this up, Francesco!

Drizzt
Topic Author

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 19:35

I guess we need better explanation than what's magical success and what's Gandalf rune auto success mechanic wise. Or it's only narrative skill ? For now I don't see benefit in taking such virtue which will add some more narrative and give negative side effect (eye awariness) from mechanics point of view...

gyrovague

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 05:29

I guess we need better explanation than what's magical success and what's Gandalf rune auto success mechanic wise. Or it's only narrative skill ? For now I don't see benefit in taking such virtue which will add some more narrative and give negative side effect (eye awariness) from mechanics point of view...
Magical successes do not add to eye awareness.

As for the value of the magical success, beyond narrative value, that will depend on the circumstances and what the player and LM come up with. I do think it might cause some problems for people coming from other systems and traditions, where the balance between "player empowerment" and "GM empowerment" is a thing. Making magical successes fun will require a dynamic in which the LM is cheering for the PCs while challenging them, but not trying to thwart them.