Niallism

Re: Proof reading the new materials?

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 02:44

Guides are not subject to any Journey Events. I don't know if that's by design or an oversight. It does make the Elf 'Memory of Ancient Days' Virtue pointless for a Guide.

Niallism

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 02:48

The text mentions dropping helms, weapons, and shields in combat, but it only references dropping helms as reducing Load (like 1E), and that's in a footnote to a table.

So (a) it could use more explanation, and (b) can we drop weapons and shields to reduce load?

P 97
Removing a helm or dropping a shield or weapon,
for example to reduce Load.

Niallism

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 02:50

I gotta complain a little because I'm a professional editor and translator who is financially struggling due to Covid, and I picked up on these issues in a couple of hours.

Niallism

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 03:25

I noticed an error in the Rivendell booklet. On the Skill of the Eldar (pg 12), the rune should be a Gandalf, not a "T".
I'd say error in word feat dice - should be success dice. Rune is correct. If we take that error is in rune than this skill doesn't make sence. Gandalf rune is already an auto success what's the point making it magical success it gives only negative aspect (eye hunt score) and no additional advatages.
I agree.

gyrovague

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 04:46

I'd say error in word feat dice - should be success dice. Rune is correct. If we take that error is in rune than this skill doesn't make sence. Gandalf rune is already an auto success what's the point making it magical success it gives only negative aspect (eye hunt score) and no additional advatages.
By the way, unless I overlooked something they still (since Alpha) did not add magical success to the list of things that increase Eye Awareness. In fact the wording pretty clearly excludes it: it's only magic from "Wizards or other other Loremaster Characters".

And if you read the description of magical successes, they're pretty cool and potentially quite powerful. If a single Tengwar gives you a magical success, that would mean that with just skill 3 (or 3 dice total), 42% of elves successes would be magical successes. A consistent 1/12 chance seems far more appropriate, to me.

But...I could be wrong. I've been wrong about a LOT of things in 2e. I'm sure they will clarify this one.

Dunheved
Topic Author

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 11:39

It occurs to me that picking up these minor slips is currently a little haphazard in how they are brought up and described. What might be the most useful way to report these? I am no publisher, but I do find it easiest to look up if the report has 1. Title 2. page number 3. some sort of description of the issue 4. Anything else, like my own arrogant opinion

E.g.
1. Core Rules :
2. page 52 And page 219 :
3. Contradictory rules: Gilraen has 0 Fellowship bonus (p 52), Gilraen has +1 Fellowship bonus (p 219)
4. Should be something, as it was +2 in the Alpha rules

Rasmus Nord

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 14:00

Typo on pg 180, the Bree-Land, upper right column:
ditchf instead of ditch.

baldrick0712

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 14:35

What a pity, particularly in this day and age of pretty decent spelling and grammar checking software.
It seems like an ironic necessity that any post complaining about others' English skills must contain mistakes.
Ha ha, very true.

dentarthurdent

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 16:18

Another unfortunate, and for newcomers confusing, oversight: The rules always speak of Border Lands for Journey Difficulty, but the hexmap has Free Lands instead and no mention of Border Lands.

fahrgast

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 19:46

A small sentence has been added in page 119:
During each Fellow­ship Phase, all
Player-­heroes automatically recover a number of Hope points
equal to their HEART score, and they recover them all at Yule.
I haven't found any other reference to this new way of recovering Hope, neither in Yule section (p. 120) or in Recovering Hope (p. 71). I think this is an important rule that probably deserves a mention in both of these sections.