Dunheved
Topic Author

Re: Proof reading the new materials?

Tue 09 Nov 2021, 23:50

Scan and Search...
(like certain container vessels,) those ships sailed a long time ago.

Harlath

Wed 15 Dec 2021, 11:36

Added another small issue for p152:

P152 “Used to live in the depths of the earth” - should be: “Used to living in the depths of the earth”?

Harlath

Fri 17 Dec 2021, 18:41

p49 looks like something got mixed up in editing:

P49 - “Travelling gear does need to be annotated in detail on a character’s sheet only if a player wishes to do so, and is not given a Load rating.” - something may have been garbled in editing? Should perhaps be “Travelling gear needs to be annotated in detail on a character’s sheet only if a player wishes to do so, and is not given a load rating”.

Harlath

Mon 20 Dec 2021, 12:00

Many thanks to both Free League and lots of fans for contributing here, as lots of this is included in the new errata document. Fine work and encouraging. :)

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=8806

I think the main things that are missing for me are:
- Guidance on magical successes: a line or two on how to treat these for councils/skill endeavours where they should probably frequently count for 2+ successes? If we're wanting things in FAQ language, perhaps "How should I treat magical successes mechanically in skill endeavours/councils, as they represent feats beyond even an extraordinary success? Should I sometimes count these as additional successes?"
- Adjust skill endeavours/councils (maths doesn’t work: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=8509, higher difficulties are easier to pass a mid to high skill levels. Easily adjusted by making attempts allowed scale up more slowly than successes needed). Is there a revision planned for a subsequent update or is this working as intended?
- Against the Unseen: "All your Shadow Tests due to Dread are Favoured, and you additionally gain (1d) on those rolls forced upon you by an evil spirit or ghost (including creatures possessed by one)." - "those rolls": is this all rolls or just Shadow (Dread) rolls? If it is just Shadow rolls, it should probably be all Shadow rolls rather than just Shadow (Dread) as Undead inflict both Dread and Sorcery tests.

Plus I naturally skill disagree with the Errata/FAQ's stance on Deadly Archery not working with Great Bows: seems odd given what we see in the source material, where elves are noted to use powerful bows capable of shooting great distances. ;)
"Suddenly the great bow of Lorien sang. Shrill went the arrow from the elven-string” - Fellowship of the Ring
"Indeed the Gondothlim were mighty archers, and bows they made of a marvel of power. Therewith might they shoot an arrow into heaven seven times as far as could the best bowman among Men shoot at a mark upon the ground; and they would have suífered no falcon to hover long over their plain or snake to crawl therein; for they liked not creatures of blood, broodlings of Melko." - The Fall of Gondolin
"'Let us slay him, and be rid of his spying,' said Androg in wrath; and he looked on the great bow of Beleg and coveted it, for he was an archer." "Moreover Beleg the Archer was great among the people of Doriath; he was strong, and enduring, and far-sighted in mind as well as eye, and at need he was valiant in battle, relying not only upon the swift arrows of his long bow. "They laid Beleg in a shallow grave, and placed beside him Belthronding his great bow, that was made of black yew-wood" - Children of Hurin

Timdalf

Sat 05 Mar 2022, 14:27

Trying to wrap my head around this also. As the Shire pdf on hobbit walking journeys makes a distinction of journeys longer than 50 miles. Not sure how to know one way or the other.

I do notice on p. 9 of the Shire, they say the distance from Michael delving to the Brandywine Bridge is about 40 leagues. And I notice it’s about 4 hexes inthe map. So is every hex 10 leagues? And a league is ~3 miles. So every hex is 30 miles?

This doesn’t seem to agree very well with journey progress being 1 hex per day, or 2 at a forced march or on horses.

Also doesn’t seem to agree with on that same page the statement that a hobbit could walk from one need to the other of the East Road in about a week, walking 12 mi a day.

Help? Is there a more obvious/easier way of making a rule of thumb for this?
Using the 1e map from Journeys & Maps, the distance from the Brandywine Bridge to Michel Delving is less than 30 leagues (about 8.5 hexes or 85 miles). However, if we take the Shire PDF at its word (40 leagues or approx. 120 miles), we do indeed get a scale of 1 Hex = 10 Leagues (30 Miles). This could definitely use some clarification.

By contrast, checking with Karen Fonstad's map of the Shire from The Atlas of Middle-earth, I get about 90 miles from Michel Delving to the Brandywine Bridge (as the crow flies). Personally, I think the scaling for The One Ring has been a little iffy all along.
I am going to suggest a solution that leaves it perfectly unresolved! Maybe a League is reckoned as not a measure of distance, but of time. And subjective time, at that! A League is one hour's walk for a Hobbit. For a fit Hobbit, that's 3 miles. For an out of sorts Hobbit (either unused to rigors, or too used to stopping at watering holes!) it is 2 miles. I seem to recall there are distance discrepancies between TH and LotR.... Thus 10 leagues shifts back into distance reckoning to become how far one can walk at one's normal pace in a day. And normal pace and the duration of a day being relative to one's fitness! Isn't that delightfully inconsistent?! Time becomes distance and distance becomes time. The potential for hobbitry disputes over a pint becomes endless. "We walked how far?" "You mean, YOU walked how long?" ;-)

Timdalf

Sat 05 Mar 2022, 14:42

PS: There is some historical basis for what suggested. This is from a Wikipedia entry on the League as a distance.

>>>...Derived from an ancient Celtic unit and adopted by the Romans as the leuga, the league became a common unit of measurement throughout western Europe. It was intended to represent, roughly, the distance a person could walk in an hour.<<<