Asgo

Re: Proof reading the new materials?

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 20:49

I do notice on p. 9 of the Shire, they say the distance from Michael delving to the Brandywine Bridge is about 40 leagues. And I notice it’s about 4 hexes inthe map. So is every hex 10 leagues? And a league is ~3 miles. So every hex is 30 miles?

This doesn’t seem to agree very well with journey progress being 1 hex per day, or 2 at a forced march or on horses.

Also doesn’t seem to agree with on that same page the statement that a hobbit could walk from one need to the other of the East Road in about a week, walking 12 mi a day.

Help? Is there a more obvious/easier way of making a rule of thumb for this?
going by the shire map you have around 23 leagues as the crow flies for Michael Delving to Brandywine Bridge, if a league is 3 miles you get to around 70 miles, for a 4 hex distance that makes around 17 miles a hex.
If you want a nice rounded number, 20 would be a good fit.
It also fits close enough to a one day travel distance on foot under normal circumstances, in particular if you go by a 1 day resolution for hex sizes.

not sure if the cited 40 leagues are simply a "as the hobbit walks" addendum to the straight line - would be a lot given that there is nearly a straight road connection - or a sync error in the numbering.

Otaku-sempai

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 21:50

Trying to wrap my head around this also. As the Shire pdf on hobbit walking journeys makes a distinction of journeys longer than 50 miles. Not sure how to know one way or the other.

I do notice on p. 9 of the Shire, they say the distance from Michael delving to the Brandywine Bridge is about 40 leagues. And I notice it’s about 4 hexes inthe map. So is every hex 10 leagues? And a league is ~3 miles. So every hex is 30 miles?

This doesn’t seem to agree very well with journey progress being 1 hex per day, or 2 at a forced march or on horses.

Also doesn’t seem to agree with on that same page the statement that a hobbit could walk from one need to the other of the East Road in about a week, walking 12 mi a day.

Help? Is there a more obvious/easier way of making a rule of thumb for this?
Using the 1e map from Journeys & Maps, the distance from the Brandywine Bridge to Michel Delving is less than 30 leagues (about 8.5 hexes or 85 miles). However, if we take the Shire PDF at its word (40 leagues or approx. 120 miles), we do indeed get a scale of 1 Hex = 10 Leagues (30 Miles). This could definitely use some clarification.

By contrast, checking with Karen Fonstad's map of the Shire from The Atlas of Middle-earth, I get about 90 miles from Michel Delving to the Brandywine Bridge (as the crow flies). Personally, I think the scaling for The One Ring has been a little iffy all along.
#FideltyToTolkien

tolKeen

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 02:24

Ah, ok, ty! Sounds like the easiest way to resolve this is to just favor the other numbers and ignore the '40 leagues' breadth distance quoted in the Shire.

20 miles per hex seems like it would pretty much work everything out. 20 miles a day on foot is a pretty intense pace tho!

Might be nice at some point to get an overlay of the shire map with hexes on.

But by and large I can see why they've opted to abstract and simplify in this edition. I think it's going to work out nicely in play.

Rasmus Nord

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 10:10

Pg 219:
"Having lost her husband Arathorn to an Orc-arrow,
and his father Arador"

I believe it should be "her father", unless it refers to Arathorn's father?

Dunheved
Topic Author

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 11:26

Where is Tolwen at such times?

I believe Arador was Aragorn's grandfather and Arathorn's father, making him Gilraen's father-in-law.

Otaku-sempai

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 15:23

Where is Tolwen at such times?

I believe Arador was Aragorn's grandfather and Arathorn's father, making him Gilraen's father-in-law.

You are correct.
#FideltyToTolkien

Alterangel

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 05:07

On the Shire map, it denotes Bindbole Woods as "Bindbale Woods".

SicSicSic

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 19:46

The One Ring / Starter Set
The Adventures book
- p4 “Included in this box set are nine pre-generated Player-heroes.” should be eight pre-generated Player-heroes
- Adversaries format of presentation is missing (not a problem for backers who also get the Core Rules book but definitely annoying for people who’ll get only the Starter Box)
The Shire book
- p4 “only to return, nearly a decade ago” is inconsistent with the chronology on page 5. It should be “nearly two decades ago”.
The Rules book
- p23 : Special Damage / Heavy Blow : rules for adversaries should be provided (Adversaries don’t have a STRENGTH rating).

Harlath

Mon 11 Oct 2021, 12:01

Tried to collate as many of these plus issues I'd spotted (lack of units on Map, Strike Fear can seemingly be used by each opponent in a single round etc) in to one Google document - even though the books have been printed there is always a second printing (second breakfast?) and the possibility of a corrected pdf.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w7S ... sp=sharing

Thanks for a great product and can sympathise on the issues with typos! Thanks to everyone for all of their hard work.

Otaku-sempai

Mon 11 Oct 2021, 16:59

Tried to collate as many of these plus issues I'd spotted (lack of units on Map, Strike Fear can seemingly be used by each opponent in a single round etc) in to one Google document - even though the books have been printed there is always a second printing (second breakfast?) and the possibility of a corrected pdf.
If nothing else, there is likely to be a corrections and amendments document released later as a PDF.
#FideltyToTolkien