Aiden Harrison
Topic Author

Revelation Examples

Thu 26 Aug 2021, 15:35

The Revelation Episode due to the Eye of Sauron rules is something that I intend to use in my games, I didn't get around to introducing them in 1st Edition but I want to make the system more prominent when my group resumes playing One Ring (hopefully before the end of the year). In the alpha Pdf, and the 1e Rivendell book, there is a list of 10 revelation examples.

I've thought of a few more to add to the list, I was wondering if anyone had come up with their own/or if we can brainstorm some additional ones.

Here are the ones I came up with:

Doom is at Hand: All actions concerning the resolution of a chosen situation prove harder to accomplish — all Skill rolls count as ill favoured for an entire encounter or leg of a journey.

Short Cuts make Long Delays. A misremembered route or some unforeseen obstacle forces the Company to backtrack during a Journey, cancelling the progress of the last March roll.

The Breaking of the Fellowship. One of more of the Player-heroes is separated from the rest of the Company during a journey or while fleeing from an enemy.

Worn with Sorrow and Toil. A dark shadow lies over the hearts of the company, as if a deadly malice has turned its attention upon them, all Player-heroes are considered Miserable until the Loremaster deems it appropriate to the circumstances.

baldrick0712

Re: Revelation Examples

Fri 27 Aug 2021, 05:48

The "Miserable" condition seems almost irrelevant now in 2e. In the first edition you could suffer a Bout of Madness if you rolled an Eye of Sauron on any test. Now all it does is cause an automatic fail - but the test would probably have failed even if not Miserable, as the Eye then counts as 0.

gyrovague

Re: Revelation Examples

Fri 27 Aug 2021, 06:12

Generally I prefer Revelation events which are actual in-game events, rather than metagame constructs such as temporary mechanical penalties.

In other words, when Bad Things Happen is it just bad luck/coincidence, or is it the Shadow at work? Why did the pony fall into the stream? What is up with this June snowstorm? How did we happen to pick a campsite where wolves gather? How could you have fallen asleep on watch at precisely the wrong time? Wait....where is Torbjorn?

Whereas if you say, "Ok, all rolls are now ill-favoured because you exceeded the Hunt threshold" it kind of takes the mystery/spookiness out of it.