Fornost42
Topic Author

Adversaries…thoughts on the stretch goal of the nameless things?

Tue 27 Jul 2021, 00:46

I’ve nearly completed my first full read through of the alpha. I’m so excited to run a game with some folks that I play a variety of RPGs with. That being said, I want to make sure it’s as fun as possible. Namely, how to keep combat interesting and dynamic, especially with a somewhat limited list of adversaries.

My first thought is to simply use the same stats for a wider variety of creatures, namely orcs and trolls. These monsters can fight very differently even if their stats and abilities are on paper the same. I saw mention in another thread of spiders, which I hope make it into the final cut, since they’re mentioned multiple times, but also because they add a really neat element to any forest or mountain encounters.

But, I’ve also had in my mind the stretch goal of the Nameless Things. We’ll get to build our own, which is awesome! But my hope is we can use some of these mechanics to build our own typical adversaries. What if we want a wraith that has some degree of authority, but is under the dominion of the Witch-King? What if there’s a Beorning gone bad who crossed over the mountains, or a rogue clan of dwarves whose ancestors served Sauron? What about the possibility of dragons coming from the Northern Wastes?

All of that is to say, I hope that with this stretch goal we’ll have the ease of sprinkling in our own creations, without having to blunder our way through the process.

Otaku-sempai

Re: Adversaries…thoughts on the stretch goal of the nameless things?

Tue 27 Jul 2021, 02:52

Giant spiders are unknown west of the Misty Mountains in the Third Age. White Wolves however could be a credible threat in the winter months on the northern fringes of Bree-land as well as in Forochel and the Hills of Angmar. I created one pack that is led by a White Wolf/Warg hybrid.
I actually do have a dragon inhabiting the northernmost region of the Blue Mountains, but she found an ancient elvish ruin and isn't bothering much of anyone except the occasional Lossoth who wanders too near. I won't have much to say about the Nameless Things until we see more.
#FideltyToTolkien

gyrovague

Tue 27 Jul 2021, 05:29

Giant spiders are unknown west of the Misty Mountains in the Third Age.
Balrogs are also unknown in the Misty Mountains for the Third Age*. So at least we can be sure we don't have to worry about those!

(cue theme music from Jaws)

*Well, at least up until 2965, when this game takes place.

Dorjcal

Tue 27 Jul 2021, 08:54

In the Erebor supplement there were great guidelines to make your own Dragon.
Hopefully they will expand on the rules and all different kinds of fell abilities

Asgo

Tue 27 Jul 2021, 13:17

there is also a dragon in the Shire, green one.
although most combat there would probably be alcoholic in nature - depending on the players or their chars that might either be an epic encounter or a Tuesday. ;)
challenge rating measured in percent

Aiden Harrison

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 06:55

I'm interested to see what they do for Nameless Things. I enjoy making my own adversaries, I'm working on converting my adversaries list from 1e, that had several Nameless Things in it.

aramis

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 07:10

I look forward to seeing it...
but, given how unfinished Alpha feels.... let's say I have concerns for its quality.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...