Dorjcal
Topic Author

Feedback from first session! [Tldr: it was amazing!!]

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 09:04

Yesterday evening we played our first session, and it went great!
The introductory adventure is inspired by "Old bones - and skin" from the Bree supplement from 1E, and I think my players really loved it so far.

Regarding TN:
Having the TN in front of the eyes of the players, and it being tied to the attributes really helped them to improve their roleplay.
I´d say that in the majority of the rolls, they were able to rack up success die by spending hope when inspired, or by getting helped by a companion. So, even at the starting level the TN never felt unfair.

Regarding Combat:
They fought an old Troll, and were able to ambush it. The troll was quite a challenge due to the parry rating +3 and several attack failed to damage the stone troll due to its thick skin.
A combination of Forward stance and battle rolls was enough for 4 players to down the troll in 3 rounds after wounding him twice. One of the player lost quite a bit of endurance, but was able to avoid getting wounded.

gyrovague

Re: Feedback from first session! [Tldr: it was amazing!!]

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 17:11

I´d say that in the majority of the rolls, they were able to rack up success die by spending hope when inspired, or by getting helped by a companion. So, even at the starting level the TN never felt unfair.
Any estimate for how many total rolls were made, and how much Hope was spent? In other words, was their pace of Hope expenditure sustainable?

MDuckworth83

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 17:30

I'm doing the same thing with the same adventure line from the Bree sourcebook. How did statting the Old Stone Troll go? I have not yet attempted to convert a monster stat line from 1E to 2E (although I'll be doing the same one soon here.)

Dorjcal
Topic Author

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 21:53

Any estimate for how many total rolls were made, and how much Hope was spent? In other words, was their pace of Hope expenditure sustainable?
First session was 3.5h long and they spent 2 to 3 points of hope each. I expect them to get 1 hope back from the fellowship.
Considering their Heart score (or Wits for rangers), they should be able to start with full Hope or maybe one less than the max. Being starting adventurers sounds quite a good deal.
Most of the hope was used to help or while inspired

Beside combat (were they did not have to use hope), they rolled and average of 4 - 5 rolls during the 3.5h.

Dorjcal
Topic Author

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 22:04

I'm doing the same thing with the same adventure line from the Bree sourcebook. How did statting the Old Stone Troll go? I have not yet attempted to convert a monster stat line from 1E to 2E (although I'll be doing the same one soon here.)
I took the Stone-Troll Chief, gave it an attribute of 8 and 50 endurance.
Fell abilities: Horrible Strength, Hideous Toughness.

Combat:
Opening volleys.
first round with surprise -> Troll does not attack
second round regular, Troll used Hideous Toughness not to go down -> Troll attacked one player with the club (13 Endurance loss), and a second one (6 Endurance loss)
Third round regular -> Troll died of a second wound

On hindsight:
I could have used Sweeping Stroke to punch a bit harder the whole group (with no wound, they would recover all Endurance at the first sleep).
Reckless Hate could have also been implemented to push the fight to a 4th round.

However for being a first encounter it was quite good.